Has anyone had baby snails?

roland jacques

Market
Reaction score
I have never seen snail grow up in a aquarium before but i just notice about 30-50 snails in one of my refuge's. The biggest i can see is about 5/8". The last time i pulled cheto out of that sump (2 or 3 months ago) i did not see any signs of snails. Anyway this is my first full rearing of any invert. figures i had nothing at all to do with it.
Not sure if they are Mexican turbos or Caribbean Astras turbos ?? just wondering how fast they grow.

I've got eggs of something in my tank. Attached to the back overflow, a white spiral showed up a few days ago. I think its snails with eggs that look like that

Roland -

I have tons of baby snails too. There are fun to watch. They like to come together and stick to each other and form a snail conglomerate. During the day they attach themselves to the underside of the other big astrea snails and hang onto them all day.

Very cool stuff.

Matt

Roland, I have lots of them, but they are Collonista Snails which is a very small turbo type snail that hitchhikes in on live rock or in sand. They mostly come out at dusk and during the night.

The Collonista Snails Ive seen are brown and white and they where smaller than these. Let me see if if can post a photo.

LOL, Well i guess thats one way to post a photo
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think I saw bigger one. Do yo think they are Collonista Snails ?

I do see a Little similarity to the sundial. their is nothing good they can eat in that sump so i will just see if they get bigger or become more identafiable...

I get snail blooms 3-4 times per year. My water turns super cloudy, my skimmer goes nuts and the next day I have thousands of tiny snails crawling everywhere. I think my snail love making is from the nassarius.

Leveldrummer: Thanks for the info. They do not look like pyramid snails. They look like Collonista snails. They are so small it is hard to tell, but I do see some coloring coming out that looks brown like the picture pictured above. They also have the same shell design as the collonista as shown above. I will keep an eye on them to make sure when they get bigger they are not sundials.

Thanks again.

I have tons of collonista's (literally thousands) but I have never seen one over 1/4"

I have had them for almost 2 years in my tank.

Back