Has anyone tried the Radion XR 30 diffuser upgrade? I could use a better spread on my frag tank.

raz0945

Supporting
Reaction score
My frag Tank is 9' x 24" (3 compartments 36"x24") water is about 11". I have 1 new G4 reg and 1 G3 pro, the G3 may need more spread, it has a 120 spread on it. Choice was 90 or 120. I have corners of the tank that corals don't do well. Has anyone tried the new diffuser? Holley

The diffuser is for light blending. It unfortunately does not help with light spread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have a different experience and I do see much more spread with the new diffusers as well as increased blending. If you want to save a few bucks; I have an alternative solution. Make your own diffusers.

Often, I see broken LCD TVs that neighbors are throwing out. After taking them home, and testing them to ensure they’re broken; I’ve dismantled the screen because 1 of the layers has the same physical characteristics as the EcoTech ones. Now the DIY ones are lacking the white reflective panel that helps with increased spread, and I haven’t tested the spread on my DIY ones, only the EcoTech. But the DIY ones will give you some free blending.

But I agree that there’s no substitute for more pucks or T5!

Last edited:
Thanks all, I have the Aquaticlife t5 fixture, I'm putting on the third gen Radion I was wondering if i could make it even better.

Not worth it looked at one for my Prime HD has a intensity loss of 18-20%

Back when I was using the Radions I tried these. What they did was get rid of any disco ball effect, but the effect on spread was minimal if any (as others have said). I eventually had to add a third unit to get the spread I wanted. I figured I could either man up and do what had to be done, or spend valuable time trying to patch something that wasn't going to work in the first place.

Back