Have M80 (HQI) Magnetic ballasts disappeared from the face of the Earth?

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
Wow!!! I thought I'd rebuild a 250w magnetic ballast that fires M80 bulbs and guess what.....an internet search shows none to be found anywhere! I found some 175 but no 250? I know everybody has gone electronic ballast but what if somebody wants to rebuild what they have? Is this an impossible search? Is there another magnetic ballast that will fire HQI bulbs?

M80 capacitors and igniters available here:

a>

Acroholic;988274 wrote: M80 capacitors and igniters available here:

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/category/Additional-Aquarium-Accessories-8">http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/category/Additional-Aquarium-Accessories-8</a>[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave. I know it's not an igniter issue. It could be a capacitor but those are fairly easy to come by (generally 35 uf). I'm hoping that's all it is but haven't had time to test yet. It could be the transformer.

I just bought some direct from Hamilton (250w). Sounds like I made a poor decision. Lol

I noticed Hamilton does not have any complete M80 or M135 ballasts on the website, and that probably means they don't have them in stock. I replaced a capacitor once on a 175 watt magnetic ballast, but have just bought complete ballasts since.

Funny.....I can pull up the Hamilton M80 or M135 separately in a Google search, but they are not accessible on the Hamilton website proper under "replacement ballasts."

porpoiseaquatics;988297 wrote: Why do you say that?

I don't know .. They aren't around, everyone is buying e-ballasts? I was just on the phone with them and it was kind of quick and they offered me the option for them.

Dave -- I bought a fixture directly from them through my business (they didn't really care what kind of business) and they had no problem sending the m80 ballasts. I'm sure you could get them.

Now I'm questioning myself and I guess yes, the m80 is pretty accepted as a great ballast for 250w radiums. Did some research. I feel better now. :D

I just found this info within Reef Central's archives:

250w example:

Probe start: ANSI: M58, core, capacitor
Pulse start: ANSI: M138, core, capacitor, ignitor
HQI: ANSI: M80, core, capacitor, ignitor
EYE: ANSI: H37, core, capacitor, actually a mercury vapor ballast
Electronic: ANSI: none, metal box with wires

probe start will run american bulbs with ignitors built into the bulbs like coralife and venture bulbs. some german and euro bulbs will run fine on these, but without an ignitor, the bulb struggles to light and bulb life may be decreased. also reliabilty goes down.

pulse start will run the german/euro bulbs (ushio, AB, radium, etc.) these bulbs don't have built in ignitors, so the ballast has the ignitor wired into the circuit. the ignitor provides the high voltages needed to fire the bulb. you can run probe start bulbs on these ballasts, but the two ignitors may try to fight each other and possibly cause a fire.

HQI ballasts are similar to pulse starts in their wiring and ability to run bulbs. the output is a little higher which is meant to run the double-ended bulbs (commonly called HQI bulbs). people run mogul bulbs on these and they run a little hotter and brighter because they are being overdriven. this in turn shortens the life of the bulbs.

So based on the above info, would it be a safe assumption that an M138 could take the place of the M80 ballast? I think that I read somewhere on Reef2Reef that it could but may underdrive the bulb.

tonymission;988304 wrote: I don't know .. They aren't around, everyone is buying e-ballasts? I was just on the phone with them and it was kind of quick and they offered me the option for them.

Dave -- I bought a fixture directly from them through my business (they didn't really care what kind of business) and they had no problem sending the m80 ballasts. I'm sure you could get them.

I hope I don't have to repair or replace my ballasts for a long while, hehehe! They are relatively new.

More research tells me that the m80 ballast overdrives the bulbs at about 270w which does reduce the bulb life but it's beneficial in changing the color somewhat. Corals like it I guess. Not sure.

Seems like something you could put a wtb for and find some around since these ballasts are huge and I can imagine plenty of folks have moved on to LEDs. I have a spare 175w (150 maybe?) if anyone needs it :)

tonymission;988305 wrote: Now I'm questioning myself and I guess yes, the m80 is pretty accepted as a great ballast for 250w radiums. Did some research. I feel better now. :D
M80s for Radium 250 and M135 for Radium 400. The M135 is the closest American ballast in spec to the European magnetic ballast Radium recommends for the 400 watt bulb.

Acroholic;988308 wrote: I hope I don't have to repair or replace my ballasts for a long while, hehehe! They are relatively new.

Repair?!? I wouldn't even know where to start but I'll call you if that's ever needed! Lol

tonymission;988313 wrote: Repair?!? I wouldn't even know where to start but I'll call you if that's ever needed! Lol
I think Jeff would be the man for that. I would probably electrocute myself, or start a fire! :firedevil:

The magnetic ballasts are showing as available on the hamilton website now. I think I was using my ipad air the other day when I could not access them, and I just downloaded ios8, so that may be related to why I could not access the ballasts through the website.

Acroholic;988414 wrote: The magnetic ballasts are showing as available on the hamilton website now. I think I was using my ipad air the other day when I could not access them, and I just downloaded ios8, so that may be related to why I could not access the ballasts through the website.

I looked last night and could only find 175's.

Back