Hawaii ban

joseayes

Market
Reaction score
Just found out about it and started reading some, so I’m still researching on the ban.
While I must have to admit that it’s a sense of importance for the authorities and a sense of relief for environmental protection groups, it’s at the same time some sort of the opposite for fisheries and hobbyist, but at the end, it sure is a benefit for the ocean to allow species to thrive, growth, spread, colonized and pretty much everything related to the normal life in parts of the ocean without human interaction.
It’s reasonable that prices on fish and some corals would rise due demand, but certainly I’m one of the few that rather avoid looking for something that’s on high demand, in fact it happens in every corner, can’t laugh enough when I see people selling consoles on Facebook market for an amount that some, are still willing to pay lol.
Everyone knows capitalism.
Who knew a fish that you’ve bought for less than 50 bucks can sell now for 300, time to let those friends in the tank. For some, that’s the right pathway to go.

Yeah, sooner or later yellow tangs will come down. It will take a while though, next to clowns they are an iconic species within the hobby.
Prices won't come down when ORA cracks the code, it's going to take more than just one biota rival to get the cost down. I'd be pretty shocked if they ever go below $100 again.

Now that yellows are so much money it makes jumping for a purple easier though, they are only a little bit more. Silver lining and all that.

I am more pessimistic. I think the reason you haven't seen captive breeding of tangs take off is that the wild capture makes cost too low. Watching the videos of biota raising the yellow tangs, $100-125 per tang isn't enough considering the time and investment they have to put into them. Maybe they can scale it up? But they will never be able to be as consistent in supply as wild caught. This supply/demand issue will drive the price up further.

I think you end up with at least $200 captive bred yellow tangs. Which is fine if that's what it takes, but I think some forget that a lot of hobbyist don't pay $200 for fish. Its not good for the hobby. I'm certainly not paying $200 for a fish that is likely contaminated (a statement on the general supply of fish, not this one inparticular).

I’ve been a member on a group of marine fish breeders, they are people very consistent, very specialized and determined on what they want to accomplish, I would hesitate to expend some or might be even more, of what a wild one would cost, but unfortunately, like others say, I’m in this hobby to relax myself, haven’t make millions of my stuff and possibly had expend close to ten grand in almost nothing. Not considering to expend on a fish that was considered a “regular” the high dollar amount, I just can’t in my position or in the near future.

Back