Hawaii to Ban All Aquarium livestock collecting

miami dolfan

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: black;"><u>Better get that Achilles soon!</u></span></span>

Extremists Call for Ban on All Aquarium Livestock Collection in Hawaii

Hawaiian-Reef.jpg
alt="" />

By Ret Talbot
Special to CORAL Magazine

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">On Wednesday, 5 October, a resolution to ban the aquarium trade in Hawai&#8217;i will be up for discussion at the Hawai&#8217;i County Council meeting on the island of Hawai&#8217;i (the Big Island). </span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">The proposed ban is the latest in a string of proposals to end the collection and sale of fishes and various invertebrates in the Nation&#8217;s most important marine aquarium fishery. All previous proposals have been defeated.</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Proponents of the ban argue, among other things, that &#8220;the aquatic life of the reefs within the State of Hawai&#8217;i are being devastated by the collection of reef fishes and other aquatic life&#8221; as a direct result of the aquarium trade. </span>
State aquatic biologists with Hawai&#8217;i&#8217;s Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) Division of Aquatic Resources (DAR) disagree with that assessment, and even some stalwart opponents of the aquarium trade, such as the Hawai&#8217;i-based LOST FISH Coalition have expressed strong opposition to the anti-trade resolution.

Here's the link to read full story:
a>

From the Advanced Aquarist blog on this resolution:
&gt;
We encourage you to read the article in its entirety, which does an excellent job covering the opposing opinions and providing background on fishery management in Hawaii. The one thing Advanced Aquarist would like to point out is that resolutions are, in essence, teethless. Unlike the real threat of a bill (such as HB580), resolutions are more symbolic than legislative and do not have force of law.
&gt;

a>

Dakota9;693321 wrote: I support it!

Really even though it is being push through with false facts that have no ground to stands on. DNR in Hawaii has stated the most fish species are on the rise there anyway.

It's a resolution, not a legal ban, more or less a "slow down", rather than a complete "stop", if that.

We had a speaker at an ARC meeting a few years back that spoke of the aquarium trade's affect on Hawaii's reefs. Some of the things she said were very poignant, and accurate in regards to the aquarium trade.

I do think we should slow down on consuming this natural resource. So many of the world's reefs are located in countries that rather poor, where decimation of the reefs is one of the few ways to make money, and with no conservation plan.

Hawaii offers some of the few reefs that are governed by the U.S., I like the idea, and actually respect the decision to rein in it's exploitation.

Back