He made the jump...

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
So ironically I've been reading the diy screen post. And everyone was talking about jumpers and the reasons for the screen. Well my goby decided to jump sometime between last night and this morning. I was doing my feeding and he is usually is the first to perk up. I feed the tank and still no goby to be found. Bc of all of the people mentioning that gobies are jumpers I look around the tank. And sure enough I found him . Not a good start of the day. Him and my pistol shrimp (Bang bang) were my first fish. Now I have to get Bang a new partner.

IMG_20190727_112049.jpg

So my question is. What makes them jump? I don't have anything else in my tank but two clowns that host on the very opposite side of the tank. So I don't feel like anyone was fighting him. I have no clue.

But it maybe time for that screen. Lol

Fish jump. Usually when they jump in the wild, they land back in the water. It probably got startled and jumped. It happens but it always sucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have lost several fish over the years to jumping...even with lids and screens (which I always have on my tanks!)

Bummer dude I've had a few jumpers always sucks but I hate having a lid on my tank. I feel like they hinder light and gas exchange.

I've noticed over the years that if lights come on suddenly it startles the fish and they dart around the tank. I always try to light the tanks gradually when ever possible.

Sorry for your loss, Zap. It’s a bummer losing your first fish.

My rule of thumb is that any fish shaped like a torpedo is a high-risk jumper (gobies, dartfish, wrasses, hogfish...). While non-torpedo fish can and do jump, it happens much less often (clownfish/damsels, tangs, triggers, puffers...).

If a fish is startled, their instinct is to dart away as fast as they can. This benefits them in the wild. When sharks, eels, sea snakes and other predators are hunting them in the rockwork, they are cornered. Their only hope is to make it past the predator quickly, and upwards is the best direction.

And while this works great in the wild, our aquariums are usually never more than 3 feet tall. The end result is they can end up out of the water any time they get a little spooked, day or night, due to their behavioral biology.

Last edited:
Back