Healthy White BTAs is it possible?

kilralpine

Market
Reaction score
So i would like opinions/thoughts on this. While cruising FB I came across a post of what appeared to be of a bleached BTA, the person had no idea that it is a common occuring thing among ill-treated BTAs. In other words BTAs that have been in shipment for long periods of time or under crappy lights at a not-so-credible LFS may appear white due to a lack of zooanthelle. Given this some other guy had posted right under me saying that what I said was complete BS and that they naturally occur in the wild completely white and as such are perfectly healthy. I had a relative purchase a white BTA about two years ago not knowing what they were getting and I watched it become a GBTA over the course of a half a year of TLC so I am not so convinced. I find this very hard to believe and am wondering what everyones thoughts were on this.

This guy claims while diving in the great barrier he sees alot of "white" BTA. No idea

Who knows. If the creature is in an area where the nutrient supply is super high it might allow them to not need as much, if any, nutrients as a byproduct from zoo/photo process. It would make sense that we rarely, if ever, see them in the hobby because, quite frankly, those collecting specimens are looking for the most desirable/marketable product. A bleached out nem doesn't sound too appealing to me.

White BTA isn't healthy. There are some species of anemone that are white-ish normally, but not stark white.

White BTA is bleached. Zooxanthellae are absent or very few are present. Given some TLC, the Zooxanthellae will repopulate and the anemone will colour up again, so they are often salvageable, but it can go either way. Regardless, I would not call a white E. quadricolor, "healthy".

Jenn

I do not believe there is such a thing as a non-photosynthetic BTA, outside of an bleached one.

Let me rephrase. I do not believe there is such a thing as a healthy BTA that is non-photosynthetic.

Back