Heat from lights...

grouper

Market
Reaction score
I have a tank in the basement in the wall. Since the weather is getting hot, I notice over the pass couple of days my water temp has increased to 81. I keep my lights on from 12pm- 8pm. I'm thinking about changing the time to 10am - 6:00pm to reduce the heat. I have T5's. How long does everyone keep there lights on? :eek:

Me too. I run my 90 open-top, and with just 4x54w T5s I'm noticing my temp up to around 81.5 when I get home. House stays about 77-78 during warm weather.

The lights sit right on the tank rails, and I've thought about building a canopy to raise them off the water a little bit but I'd hate to give up the par... I don't have a ton of power to spare. I can't think of a good way to fan cool them with them that low either.

I run a T5's in a canopy and my temps were up around 81-82. I installed a fan and changed my light schedule to run 11 to 7. The temp stays around 79.5 to 80.5 now. I may install a 2nd fan. Last summer i didn't have a canopy on it so I'm waiting to see what it will run when July and August get here.

Back