Heater busted :(

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Last night our breaker tripped (the one that houses the 100 gallon tank); I didn't think much about it, so I flipped it back on; today, while i was pouring water in the tank, the breaker tripped again! I again flipped it back on, then tripped AGAIN! I called the electrician, and he's coming tomorrow, but upon further inspection ( I ran an extension cord to tank to keep everything going, and I noticed a spark from my sump--I looked better, plugging and unplugging stuff, and figured out it was my heater! I unplugged it and took it out and it was like busted! It was a hydor theo or something like that-good thing breaker tripped,I guess. Should I do anything? the tank ran with the heater busted for about 18 hours. It's a 100 gallon FOWLR.

Also, would it be ok to run that tank without a heater? as it's a FOWLR?

Marineland Stealths. I can't say enough good things about them. I trust them over the more expensive Pro Heat D-58s.

yeah-it was sparking-I feel pretty lucky myself, I was oblivious to this earlier, and I had my hand inthe sump messing with the skimmer-wow-glad it didn't "light me up." Will my tank be OK for a couple days w/o heater?? I'll check up on the ML stealths--but I guess my two questions were if I should do a HUGE WC, or any at all, and if the tank will be ok for a couple days?? OH-and all fish are fine and eating.

You don't need to do a water change as you wouldn't have leached any chemicals.

My heater NEVER turns on, so you should be fine depending on the ambient temp. If your tank runs on the cooler side and you are running fans, you could shut down the fans to maintain a higher temp.

A little electrolysis isn't going to hurt the fish. Certainly not in the sump.

I have to confess..after mine broke...It was a month before I replaced mine..with no problems.

DannyBradley;171067 wrote: Marineland Stealths. I can't say enough good things about them. I trust them over the more expensive Pro Heat D-58s.

The one I had leaked (dial) and shocked the heck out of me... went back to the ViaAqua Titanium heaters after that. Only problem I have had with those (I have a number of them) is that they don't have overheat/auto-cutoff, which is annoying after all this time.

-Mike

thanks, guys! yeah I figured the heat generated by my skimmer and Mag 12 in the sump (plus have closed lid on this tank) should be ok--I'll get around to getting one, though.

Back