Heater Checks

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey gang, now that we've had our first truly cold snap, keep an eye on your temps and make sure everything is alright. In the winter months, I add supplemental heaters to keep up with the cooler temp & give me some backup in case something fails. I personally use the 100W preset heaters and add them to all 3 of my systems. My frag system is in my unfinished basement and it can get pretty cold down there so I actually add 2 additional heaters: One in the sump and one in the tank itself.

Along the same lines, keep an eye on your ATO levels. Relative humidity goes down along with the temps and I use a LOT more top off in the cooler months and if you're in the habit of only filling once a week, make sure that's adequate.

Also, I see a lot of new members out there so if you don't know... If you need 200W, you're better off using 2x 100W heaters for a fail safe. If one fails and get stuck on, it won't overheat too fast and give you time to catch it, or if one stop working, you have one to keep you up running in time to correct it.

Secondly - cheap option to prevent overheating is an inkbird temp controller.

Back