Heater controller questions

Jco89

Market
Reaction score
Trying to get my tank to that sweet spot of 78 degrees in my 10 gallon nano. I had a 100w heater in there and it was at 80-84. A little to much. Got a 50w heater and now it’s hovering around 76. I’ve heard about a heater controller but not familiar with them. Can anyone make some suggestions to me as to how I can hit that 78 sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about those above but there's a lot of people using this.

It's always a good idea to have some kind of controller.

I don't know anything about those above but there's a lot of people using this.

It's always a good idea to have some kind of controller.

Yeah I was looking at Ink Bird as well. All of these are on my wish list on Amazon. lol

I use the ink bird on my 75 gallon it's pretty sweet gives me peace of mind not relying on my heater to possibly burn up my tank if it malfunctions. It's fairly easy to set once you figure it out. I have my heater in the heat outlet and mounted a mini fan from walmart in the cooling side. I bought due to large fluctuations in my tank while at work I set mine at 79 with a one degree differential and it work frickin awesome lol. I highly recommend the inkbird if you're on a Budget and don't wanna shell out hundreds for an apex or something. I got it for 30 bux on Amazon

I use the ink bird on my 75 gallon it's pretty sweet gives me peace of mind not relying on my heater to possibly burn up my tank if it malfunctions. It's fairly easy to set once you figure it out. I have my heater in the heat outlet and mounted a mini fan from walmart in the cooling side. I bought due to large fluctuations in my tank while at work I set mine at 79 with a one degree differential and it work frickin awesome lol. I highly recommend the inkbird if you're on a Budget and don't wanna shell out hundreds for an apex or something. I got it for 30 bux on Amazon

I’ve looked at the ink birds. I have read in some of the reviews that the thermometer probes will rust in the salt water. Have you experienced this?

I have two inkbirds, one on each tank. They have been super reliable. My only complaint is the 1 degree temperature differential, meaning at best, the heater outlet will turn on when the temperature is one degree less your target temp and the cooling when it is one degree above your target temp. I wish it could do half a degree.

Some good news though!!! I heard BRS say they are working with InkBird to release a new version in the near future with a temperature differential less than one degree.

I haven't heard of the second one you listed, but if you go with it, I would attempt to see if this probe would work with it, rather than the metal one you listed. If not, you can put silicone on the metal part of the probe. If you get that second one, please let me know; it would be cool to monitor the temperature remotely.

By the way, there is an older version of the InkBird that doesn't have the removable temperature probe; it comes with an attached metal one instead, so if you decide to get an InkBird, just make sure you get the one with the plastic probe (like the one @ZapataInc listed), which will be better in saltwater.

Darn I'm glad I read this thread I just put an ink bird on mine about 2 weeks ago and it has the metal probe I did not think about it. I guess I'll have to pull it out and silicone it

Darn I'm glad I read this thread I just put an ink bird on mine about 2 weeks ago and it has the metal probe I did not think about it. I guess I'll have to pull it out and silicone it

I ran a metal one without silicon for over a year and the probe still seemed fine, but better to play it safe with corals. I think it would rust eventually. Does yours have the connector that will allow you to remove the probe? If so, you can just swap it. I guess I should clarify that there are three version... one with with a metal probe that can not be removed, one with a metal probe that can be removed and swapped out for a plastic one, and one that comes with the plastic probe that can be swapped if ever needed.

As you can see it's only .1 degree off

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_205430708.jpg
    IMG_20190805_205430708.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190805_205438945.jpg
    IMG_20190805_205438945.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
I've got a question on the ink bird, could I possibly run a splitter and put two heaters in the heating outlet?

Nice, where did you get that little fan from?

It depends on the model, they state how many watts you can run, with heavy duty 2 or 3 way adapters you can use more heaters, just don't exceed the Inkbird wattage

Back