Heater Exploded In Main Tank

newbie20

Reaction score
Watching TV with the wife tonight when a large explosion came from the tank. Looked over and saw smoke coming from the corner where the heater is and saw the "shatterproof" casing cracked open. Unplugged it immediately and pulled it from the tank. So much for the 5-star reviews, auto shut-off, and shatterproof design (Aqueon Pro 250). Guess it could have been worse with shattered glass, cracked tank, etc.

As far as I can tell, all of the fish are still alive. However, a white powdery sand-like substance covers the corner area where the explosion occurred. Anyone know what this is and if it's harmful?

E-mailing the company now, but thought that I'd tap the knowledge pool of this club for any past experiences like this or advice.

Thanks,
Brian

I'd shut off pumps if not too late clean and siphon that partition.

I've had them bust with no negative effects a long time ago.

FF337;1063606 wrote: I'd shut off pumps if not too late clean and siphon that partition.

I've had them bust with no negative effects a long time ago.

+1

Not sure what it is but would get it out ASAP.

Hope everything is ok as with above post!

Thanks. Too late for the pumps. The explosion occurred in front of my mp40 and temporarily filled the tank with the white cloud. Siphoned the sediment sitting atop a plating monti, but the rest is dispersed and not detectable with the current lighting. Also placed a reactor with fresh carbon directly in the main tank near the corner of the explosion.

Fish are still swimming around, and the tank appears normal for now. Crossing my fingers that tomorrow I will have no major losses. Hope to confirm with the company first thing in the morning the contents of the heater and will post an update.

Please keep us posted.

I know it's late but I would be making water and doing a water change asap!

I had the same thing happen but in my mixing trash can so no fish. There was glass every in the trash can so I had to clean it out. Tiny shards all over. I even found some on the floor that blew out....found them with my feet so be careful. I agree on water changes, try to clean all of the glass and parts out, and contact the company. Mine that blew up was a Hydor and they sent me another one. I had read on various forums where some companies replaced losses in tanks so if you lose anything, let me know. This is also why I have mine in my sump so if this happens it is confined there. I read another person, I think in ARC, that only gets titanium heaters now....because of this risk.

I had never heard of it happening but after it happened to me, I googled it and it happens quite a bit. I also read to only put them completely horizontal or completely vertical, assuming it is a submersible heater. For some reason, at an angle puts it at more risk.

I like titanium on a Ranco controller. Some here have no longevity with titanium but I never had an issue. I had one for 5 years no issues. That said I don't do the whole 1/2 of a degree on/off thing either.

Yup I use nothing but Titanium heaters on a controller. Only issue I ever had with them was when I forgot to turn them off doing a water change and one fired itself.

I will never trust a plastic heater, and Im always afraid of a glass one breaking.

Camellia;1063613 wrote: Please keep us posted.

I know it's late but I would be making water and doing a water change asap!

+1 a water change is definitely on the top of the list of things to do after an incident like this.

I have a neo therm right now because I was gonna go sumpless but with that crazy notion behind me I just ordered a titanium yesterday.

Well, happy to report that when I came downstairs this morning, everything still appeared normal. Fish swimming around and corals extended.

Finally able to touch base with the folks at Aqueon who informed me that the "dust" was silica (essentially sand), which is non-toxic and shouldn't threaten any livestock. They're sending me a replacement, but I'm going to research the Eheim and titanium option mentioned by others on this post.

To clarify, this was submerged in a completely vertical position and has a shatterproof plastic casing and auto-shutoff feature if the water level drops too low. Luckily no glass. I'm now wondering if there was a small crack in the casing that eventually let water seep through, causing the explosion.

Also guessing that recent instances of shocks are related. The last couple of times I reached into the tank and my arm made contact with the light fixture, I got a small jolt. I attributed it to the light fixture's metal casing carrying a current and the saltwater on my arm, but it only happened recently. Maybe it was actually the light fixture acting as a ground for the current running through the water and my arm?

I wouldn't be using that brand of heater again. Yes, the company responded quickly, but that's the best they can do, that doesn't fix a batch of defective heaters or possibly exploding on a new perfectly fine heater.
I never had a heater exploted on my tanks before but at this time I'm putting my bet on titanium ones, I had eheim's before, they are great, but the only downside is they're long and you sometimes can't fit them in a regular size sump.
Not long ago some aquarium products companies fusion together and for what I see from them is that they not offering quality. Some items will last, but some others from them should be discontinued for safety reasons.
Hopefully your inhabitants and your tank will be just fine

Picoreefguy;1063638 wrote: +1 a water change is definitely on the top of the list of things to do after an incident like this.

Yep! I would do several over the next week or so!

You couldn't pay me to use a Titanium heater ever again. Way too many problems with them.

Sounds like the Aqueon plastic heaters are a lot like the old Marineland Stealths. The Stealths were recalled some years ago.

ALL heaters should be replaced every few years, and tested at least once a year, IMO - they are far and away, the weakest link in the equipment chain.

Having said that, Eheim seem to be the most reliable and have been for 20+ years.

Jenn

Back