Heater Malfunction

Luap_Jr

Market
Reaction score
I came home to a really hot tank and I'm not sure how hot is was I just did a quick 50% water change because I had extra saltwater laying around. Most of my livestock didn't make it :/ Anybody have advice for stuff like this.

Corals are currently closed up, some are doing better than other, but it was late at night so I can't say much about how they look after wards my lights just turned on. So I will update you guys if they open up.

Please do and look into running an Eheim Jager heater on an Inkbird. You can set the heater's internal thermostat to 80° and set the Inkbird where you want your heat to actually be. I've never had an Inkbird fail but if it ever does in the "On" position, you'll have the heater's internal thermostat as a backup. If the heater's thermostat gets stuck in the "On" position, the Inkbird will cut power.

If they both somehow or another fail in the On position at the same time, avoid going outside for fear of being hit my lightening.

Whenever anything like this happens in my tank, I always start running fresh carbon just in case.

For my own personal info, what was the tank temp? I've seen a few coral survive an overnight heater malfunction that for up to around 100°. Not a ton of them made it but some did; it was a frag tank.

I’m not sure because when I got home I just rushed and changed the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used Ranco & Apex, they are both excellent too. I also only used Eheim-Jager heaters, based on my history of success using them.

They main point is to have at least 2 layers of control on heaters, with one set 3-4 degrees above the other.

Far enough apart to protect everything from a failure, without interfering with each other.

Sorry for your losses!

Thanks I’m just worried about everything else in the tank that did survive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn sorry to hear this. Im run my heater through a DIY "apex" controller that i have built. And i constantly check the temp with other means just to make sure that it is reading correctly.

Plus 1 on the inkbird. Just make sure to calibrate every couple months mine slowly drifted 3 to 4 degrees off b4

Yeah, Inkbird Wifi version will not only tell you on your phone when you are away but also alarm in the middle of the night until you physically go to it and press the button to silence it. No shutting it off in the app and going back to sleep accidentally. We use one in conjunction with a Finnex Titanium heater that has no on/off switch. Nothing to get stuck and no moving parts. It relies entirely on the Inkbird to control it. There are also 2 temp probes on the Inkbird. It compares the values between the two and will alarm if they drift/get different readings should a probe fail.

Plus 1 on the inkbird. Just make sure to calibrate every couple months mine slowly drifted 3 to 4 degrees off b4
Curious, I've never calibrated any of mine, I'm running nine (3 different models, none are wi-fi) for two+ years, and all are still keeping the tanks at the correct temp winter and summer.

Curious, I've never calibrated any of mine, I'm running nine (3 different models, none are wi-fi) for two+ years, and all are still keeping the tanks at the correct temp winter and summer.
It only happened once in in the 8 months ive had it

I like the wifi feature on that Inkbird & the 2 sensors cover a sensor failure. My experience has shown me that power supplies fail a lot in equipment.

So,
My big concern is if that controller fails. It could & does happen. That’s why I use 2 different devices.

Back