Heater Suggestion

Gabridge83

Treasurer
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Well it looks like the heater in our 30 is going out. What heater has worked best for you?

Ehiem here with a inkbird controller running for 2 years now with no issues. Have a spare on stand by I figure it's got to be close to giving up.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

I have used eheims for a long time and still love em. My only issue is the size of them. I think they are the longest heaters on the market making space a concern. The finnex have been great for 4-5 years now and dont take up as much space

+1 on the Finnex Titanium (heater only, no controller). We have 3 of them in varying sizes. Haven't had any issues. Using either the Apex or the Inkbird to control them.

+1 on the Finnex Titanium (heater only, no controller). We have 3 of them in varying sizes. Haven't had any issues. Using either the Apex or the Inkbird to control them.
Just out of curiosity why not the controller?

I have used eheims for a long time and still love em. My only issue is the size of them. I think they are the longest heaters on the market making space a concern. The finnex have been great for 4-5 years now and dont take up as much space
We currently have a finnex on it but it came with the tank and we don’t know how old it is.

They don't have a built in control they are just a titanium heating element
Something along these lines
Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity why not the controller?
I just prefer to let the aquarium controller handle the on/off function. One less moving part to break. If the relay in the heater gets stuck, I would need a new heater. I think they might be a little cheaper without the controller built in as well. Rather, other heaters in the Finnex line have them built in. We went with the series that are just the heater.

Honestly I would use a finnex controllers over an inkbird. The most reliable and accurate in my experience has been Ranco controllers.

Honestly I would use a finnex controllers over an inkbird. The most reliable and accurate in my experience has been Ranco controllers.
The redundant temp probes and WiFi was why we picked the Inkbird at first. Still have 2 in use (freshwater nano tank and mixing station).

The redundant temp probes and Wifi was why we did the Inkbird at first. Still have 2 in use (freshwater nano tank and mixing station).
The inkbirds are not bad choice at all. I just like the finnex HC-810M a little better.Ive found it to be more accurate

Yeah you really can’t go wrong with “Ebo Jagers” (I still call them that). The only caveat is that they do run fairly long. The 300 watt ones I have are like 2 feet long lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back