Heater

kr561

Market
Reaction score
so i bought this heater from petco,says its for up to 70 gallons,i put it on the lowest setting,and it still takes my tnak up to 84F wth?

Defective...... Return. If can't return. only use it for make-up water.

freakin A...i'll return it...what do you mean make up water??

Dakota9;321319 wrote: Defective...... Return. If can't return. only use it for make-up water.

Before doing your water changes or mixing salts, you heat the water to correct temps before adding. I use a high wattage heater to heat up quickly.

What brand is it? I know a lot of folks had problems with "Hydor".

You're absolutely certain you're putting it on the lowest setting and not on the highest? Sometimes those dials can be hard to read.

Good idea to shop around before you buy. These don't get the greatest reviews.

http://www.petco.com/product/102227/PETCO-Submersible-Aquarium-Heaters.aspx">http://www.petco.com/product/102227/PETCO-Submersible-Aquarium-Heaters.aspx</a>

I'm sure Petco will take it back. $50 is a lot to spend on heating mix water. Also, a glass heater can give you a nasty shock if it gets a hairline crack and you don't see it in time.

GREAT....im definetly taking this thing back!

when i put the heater on the (+) it gets alot hotter,when i put it on the (-) it only goes down to 83F-84F,im trying to get an even temp,between 78-80F

lose the heater for the DT, maybe a small one for winter use to maintain overnight, but if you have MH lamps you will have plenty of heat..

getting 4bulb T5 for my 55gal soon

its just that its a serious drop in temp at night,74F this morning,and 84F all day

wbrown;321334 wrote: lose the heater for the DT, maybe a small one for winter use to maintain overnight, but if you have MH lamps you will have plenty of heat..

Careful doing this or you could have pretty significant temperature swings which can have a negative affect on livestock. You want the temp to remain as constant as possible. A slight dip @ night is okay (after all, that happens in nature when the sun goes down), but in a small environment like an aquarium you want to avoid big/sudden changes when you can.

wbrown;321334 wrote: lose the heater for the DT, maybe a small one for winter use to maintain overnight, but if you have MH lamps you will have plenty of heat..

In my last large system, I would have had 20 degree temp swings if I'd have done that.... If the tank is in an interior room of a well insulated house and the room is kept climate controlled at a pretty constant temp, this can be done. Otherwise, you're going to have some crazy temp swings

The heater is defective. Return it to Petco and buy a Stealth or an Ebo-Jaeger. You should be able to get what you need in a nationally known quality brand for the same amount.
Dave

ares;321512 wrote: I wouldnt suggest buying a heater from a chain petstore. only because they are ridiculously expensive. you can go to any of the "private" LFS and get a nice heater for <30, probably alot less. heaters are the highest markup item Ive seen in a chain pet store.

Agreed, but I didn't think there was much out in Buford other than the chain stores. I guess Aviarium is about the closest ARC Sponsor.

I wouldn't recommend the stealth unless it's for use in the display tank. They don't have an indicator light letting you know if they're on or off, which I like. I do have one in my 55 FW setup that blends in nicely with the background, as well as one in my 10G Nano, but for an in-sump heater I'd go with the Visitherm Deluxe (not trying to get too fancy here and they should be available for around the same price as the Petco brand).

Not really a suggestion for you, but I have used these Hydor inline heaters and they work great and have been very dependable. They are fresh and saltwater safe, and work great in the return from a canister filter or a pump that uses either 1/2" or 5/8" ID tubing. They heat the water via heat transfer ink. No metal or glass heating elements inside them. One of the only, if not the only affordable external heater around. Priced in the mid $50 range from Marine Depot, Drs Foster Smith, etc.

I used mine in freshwater tanks and really liked not having to get my arm wet to adjust the heater setpoint.

HD08110_99.jpg
alt="" />

Dakota9;321438 wrote: In my last large system, I would have had 20 degree temp swings if I'd have done that.... If the tank is in an interior room of a well insulated house and the room is kept climate controlled at a pretty constant temp, this can be done. Otherwise, you're going to have some crazy temp swings
midnight posting.. I was less than clear. I meant to not have the heater in the DT, but in the sump as a backup. My sump lights are on 24/7 and the heater rarely comes on. I run fans whenever MH's are on to keep it cool.
I've been able to keep temps to within 5 degrees from day to overnight.

If you have a canister filter, this is an excellent heater, best one I ever used

Acroholic;321544 wrote: Not really a suggestion for you, but I have used these Hydor inline heaters and they work great and have been very dependable. They are fresh and saltwater safe, and work great in the return from a canister filter or a pump that uses either 1/2" or 5/8" ID tubing. They heat the water via heat transfer ink. No metal or glass heating elements inside them. One of the only, if not the only affordable external heater around. Priced in the mid $50 range from Marine Depot, Drs Foster Smith, etc.

I used mine in freshwater tanks and really liked not having to get my arm wet to adjust the heater setpoint.

HD08110_99.jpg
alt="" />

Back