Heaters

anthony

Market
Reaction score
Just want to keep all the pins on the best heaters 4A reef aquarium.? I was looking at one of those Cobalts but have never used one but anyone have experience with those? Any information would be appreciated

My BRS titanium has been flawless.

Heaters freak me out. They likely are the leading cause of mechanically/electronically induced crashes. I currently do not run a heater. I was running one with an internal thermostat plugged into a back autoaqua kill switch. I like the idea of running two small heaters so in the event of a fail-on one individual either cannot kill, or cannot quickly kill the tank. Also replacing them annually aint a bad approach. Everything ultimately will fail on a long enough timeline and heaters are cheap to replace. Brands are well and good but it all comes down to a 5cent made and china thermostat.

Dumping Kalkwasser from a bad ATO switch is probably the only thing that comes close to the number of kills

I’ve ran Eheim jager heaters for pretty much every tank I’ve owned in the last 20 years.

I’ve ran Eheim jager heaters for pretty much every tank I’ve owned in the last 20 years.
Even with Jager heaters I wouldn't run one without a temperature controller. I had a Jager 300w that got stuck on and cooked my 120 planted tank.

A controller is a must with a heater, I love my Hydros set up, controls the heater and sends me a text anytime the temp is out of what I set as. the safe zone...

Last edited:
I use Ehiem heaters as well, but don’t use a controller. Are you talking about an Inkbird controller or something like an Apex?

Last edited:
Eheim Jagers with a controller. I use Inkbirds on the tanks I don't have an Apex on.

I think a controller is important and a fairly cheap "insurance" policy against heater malfunction. However, I had saltwater tanks for 15 year before I every bought a controller but I did always use Eheim Jager's without any issues.

For those of us not running a controller, can even run it with a controller or inkbird.

eheim and finnex titanium heaters on a ranco controller have never failed me. (brb gonna go knock on wood) I ran cobalt heaters a few years ago. 2 failed out of 3. One i caught before it did any major damage and the other wiped out most everything in my biocube. The 3rd is now harder to find than jimmy hoffa's body.

Back