heaters

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
alright so what type of heaters do you guys use? Espically if your tank is over 75g, do you use two heaters or do you get 1 jumbo heater? If youre using 1, what do you reccommend? my tank volume now is going to be 85g which includes display and sump. Thanks.

Lee

Here was a thread started not too long ago:

showthread.php

good deal, thanks for that link. I've always used the stealth heaters and I love them!!! just didnt know if there were any ups or downs to using two vs. one. And yet cameron makes another great point about having two and 1 being able to be a backup. Well that answers my quesion. thanks guys.

The only standby I have is no glass. The seams at the top are horribly unreliable. The only one I've ever had that never leaked is an old green one who's manufacturer escapes me (it's my water change mixing heater now) and it's about 2x as thick as most heaters these days. All the other glass ones have leaked sooner or later.

I seem to have great luck with my (3) 250w MH lights... lol
Seriously tho, I use a single 300w Rena, so far so good...

The logic for 2 smaller heaters is that when one sticks ON, it won't cook your tank. Use the manufacturers reccomendations for your tank size, divide by two and get 2 of that size heater.

If you are using a controller (AC, RK, etc) to run your heaters there isn't a need to run 2 heaters since if the controller goes haywire, both heaters will be on anyway, unless, of course, a single one is too small for your system. To achieve an extra level of safety if you are using a controller, set the built-in thermostat on your heater(s) to a degree or two above your controller set point so that if your controller sticks on, the thermostat will turn off the heater.

I use 4 Visi-Therm Stealth Heaters in various parts of my system (overflow, sump, refugium) all controlled by my ACII.

yeah very good suggestions....I wish I had an AC controller but its out of my price range right now, one day I will tho. But as you state I'll get 2X50W heaters and be done with it.

I use two 300w titanium heaters that have no thermostat or other things to go wrong inside, controlled obviously by an external controller.
a> ; despite the picture, it's just a heater element with a plug on the other end.

Back