Hello from Atlanta near perimeter mall.

MattLaw

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am in the Atlanta area. I have been in the hobby about 3 months now and I'm totally obsessed. My first real reef tank is an adopted (facebook marketplace) redsea max e170 37gal dt.

I would love to get plugged into the local community and make some friends and potentially get and give some support.

I have attached a picture of my tank. My corals are looking great, and params are relatively stable. I feel like things are growing slow, but I suspect that is because I go stare at it every 15 minutes.

Attachments

• 20240423_170359.jpg
    20240423_170359.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 33
Hello all!

I am in the Atlanta area. I have been in the hobby about 3 months now and I'm totally obsessed. My first real reef tank is an adopted (facebook marketplace) redsea max e170 37gal dt.

I would love to get plugged into the local community and make some friends and potentially get and give some support.

I have attached a picture of my tank. My corals are looking great, and params are relatively stable. I feel like things are growing slow, but I suspect that is because I go stare at it every 15 minutes.
Calcification to grow any stony corals is going to be somewhat slow. Watching paint dry will be faster. LOL. Soft corals will be much faster growers if thats what you're aiming for. Nonetheless, good looking tank and welcome!

Thank you both! I'm just overly excited, I think it probably growing well. I have some zoas and gsp. Also finding that I love euphyllia. Ide love a suggestion for some sps that will add some variety.

I think the easiest starter SPS are Montipora Capricornis, or for sticks I'd say Starry Night. I've got free frags offered for new Supporting members.
That would be amazing. By chance do these frags come with free advice? Lol.

That would be amazing. By chance do these frags come with free advice? Lol.
Absolutely, but my knowledge isn't near the level of many others in this community. Happy to share what I know but a better option is to post your questions here in the forums, there are sure to be plenty with experience relative to your specific questions who are happy to share.

Hey watch that Burton guy - he’s the gateway to the much harder stuff. One day your doing just fine and the next you’re planning to selling things you shouldn’t .. and now you’re at Dave’s house and then you find yourself thinking maybe I should just get a 125 gallon…

And what if I am already at that point?

That was me. Started off with a 5.5g tank and talked about how patient I was going to be. That lasted 8 days until I moved up to a 11.4g tank. The two things I learned during that first month are still true.

From there I moved to a 90g. Small is just so limiting and I got bored really fast. The 90g was good, because there was always something happening.

I'm not a big fan of fish (I love all the other parts), so I need lots of other critters to keep it entertaining: assorted crabs, stars, snails, etc. And maybe a fish or two with personality like a mandarin (love mandarins) or a blenny of some kind. When I have that, there's always something to watch.

I haven't had a tank in ~8 years, but I'm working on setting up a 57g now that I'm hoping will be large enough to always be entertaining but small enough that the maintenance isn't draining. We'll see 😁

Back