Hello! Need some help with my Elos Mini

jin_moon

Reaction score
Hello!

A long time reefer and member of the forums (decided to change my childish handle), I have not been active on this board in a few years due to my profession and could not maintain the hobby. Now that I'm back in Atlanta permanently, I would like to join the ARC (btw, mod, when you first register for the site and at the end, when you click the hyperlink providing the details on how to join the club, you get an error) and show off my Elos Mini build/move from a 34 Solana. :D

Obviously, I am open to any suggestions on the set up and would like some input, since i'm having some issues keeping my salinity levels stable.

Mod/webmaster, please send me the hyperlink on the joining info and delete the user "humptrax".

Thanks and hello again!!

Jin

brchapm;843029 wrote: humptrax? so you're the one that kept me from using that id!

I was young and probably had 1 too many to drink. You'd be surprised at how funny Watura Humptrax can sound in the right context. :blush:

embarassing!!

After being out of the hobby for 7 years, my girlfriend bought me a 34 gallon Solana AIO that i sourced down off craigslist.

LastSolanaPic.jpg
alt="" />

It came with all the stock equipment, a JBJ ATO, a couple Koalias, a Kent 4 stage RO/DI with booster pump (make me an offer!) and an older Polar Bear CC-25 chiller. I don't understand what the knock on the pendant lighting from the stock system was all about. Granted, it wasn't the most modern looking fixture but it definitely never looked out of place over the tank either. I felt like the reflector kept the lighting within the confines of the tank and didn't bleed the light out all over the place.

I also don't understand where the poor reviews of the Aqua-C Remora skimmers come from. I upgraded the stock skimmer with a Remora Pro and yes, it was a bit on the loud side but as you can see on the pic, it pulled a good bit of decent skim pretty consistently. Maybe it's an expectation thing but if one is expecting a $200 unit to pull the same quality skim as a $600 Deltec unit, I would argue that it is the user's "stupidity".

By the way, if anyone knows where you can get a chiller fixed, please let me know. This Polar Bear unit has a leak at the coupler where the freon is injected. It's a bit loud but an extra working chiller as a backup would be great.

Anyways, some more pics:

Early aquascape of the Solana
SolanaOverview.jpg
alt="" />

Maxima Clam, i think it's a watermelon chalice but someone please correct me if i'm wrong, favia
Maxima.jpg
alt="" />

Green/Pink Tipped Birdsnest, Red cap monti at top, a squamosa clam i lost early at bottom, GBTA that didn't stay bubbly because of the high flow rate under the Vortech
SolanainJuly.jpg
alt="" />

I think the Red Cap Montipora is a BEAST of a coral. This guy is practically indestructible. Here's a pic of it when I first bought the frag back in August of 2012 and a Spotted Hawkfish that's no longer a resident.
RedCapMonti.jpg
alt="" />

I'm quite sure that everyone that's a part of the club understands the addiction of the hobby. With that said, the Solana was quite big for a 1 bedroom apartment and it really shrunk the usable space in the living room/dining room area. Although she wouldn't say it, I knew that it was bugging my girlfriend quite a bit and honestly, I didn't like how cramped it felt in the apartment.

Also, as nice as the Solana is, I think in reefing, a sump is REALLY important in removing DOCs. The overflow skimming off the top of the water alone can/will make your skimmer work infinitely more efficient than a HOB. Secondly, having a large, dedicated refugium obviously gives the aquarist more opportunities to remove nutrients by growing more varieties and sizes of macroalgae. So, with that said, I started scouring the internets (a GWB quote) for a more suitable... errrrr... suitor. :eek: :confused2:

I sourced down a Elos Mini from Birmingham, Alabama. After 4 hour round trip on a Friday night and a midnight workout session...
TankonStand.jpg
alt="" />

Here's the inlet outlet. I honestly think this is a design flaw and there isn't enough space to work. I think a person with bigger hands would have a hard time with setting up the tank.
OutletPosition.jpg
alt="" />

The back of the stand is cut about 3/4". I thought this was very clever and would make the set up clean.
BackStand.jpg
alt="" />

An extra layer of black silicone sloppily applied at 1 am because I freak out about nothing all the time...
EmptyElos.jpg
alt="" />

What i thought was REALLY funny about the way this tank was engineered: what Italian idiot thought that it would be better to silicone 6 pieces of glass together to make the overflow box vs drilling 2 holes at the bottom??
InletOutlet.jpg
alt="" />

Do you have an ATO system? That might, ok would, help with the salinity. Nice setups!

RedStang;843048 wrote: Do you have an ATO system? That might, ok would, help with the salinity. Nice setups!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm running a JBJ ATO but i think it's a chemistry issue. I followed a DIY receipe and started dosing Epsom salt (Magnesium Chloride), Ball's Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) and Baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) and by freeing up the Calcium and Bicarbonate, it's precipitating extra NaCl (Sodium Chloride or salt). I'm no chemist so any experts that might be more knowledgeable with reef chemistry could maybe shed more light on this.

I'm pretty sure it's not evaporation because I stayed on top of the evaporation and kept refilling the sump... :confused2:

The stock sump set up, in my opinion, is questionable too. It just goes to show you... just because you spend boo-koo bucks on a set up, doesn't mean that everything works in a way that makes sense.

The far left chamber was designed, by Elos, as the service chamber. This was where you were supposed to fill/replenish your top off water. I guess if you were using a aqualifter or another peristaltic pump, it would work but i wasn't going to drop another $200 on a Osomocontroller. Plus, I felt like the 2 gallons of resevoir (or 8% of total water volume) would be going to waste if used as an ATO. So, it was converted into a refugium.

The middle bottom chamber is designed as a mechanical chamber, the left bottom is designed as a biological chamber, and the center is obviously where the skimmer and return pump goes.
SumpTopView.jpg
alt="" />

to keep the water flowing properly and not overloading the mechanical chamber, i decided to silicone a piece of thin acrylic i bought from hobby lobby to block off any overflow from the service chamber (the new refugium) to the mechanical chamber. The mechanical chamber flows the water down and back up, like a bubble trap, and to "overload" the chamber with extra water flow doesn't allow the bubble trap to work properly.
SumpComplete.jpg
alt="" />

I am a bit worried about the humidity issues I might have under the stand after I close the door. I read that the SL1 module is REALLY sensitive to water. If anyone has any experience wiring up a Reefkeeper into the stand, help??

By splitting the line and using the ball valve, i thought i was going to be able to keep air out of the line and push only water into the fuge. as it stands now, the bubbling varies from the fuge to the mechanical chamber back and forth. any solution suggestions is welcomed!!

Chiller and ballast set up
ChillerandBallast.jpg
alt="" />

There is a 9" clearance under the sump stand segment which allows for 2 2.5 gallon tanks to be used as an ATO resevoir. I was going to use a split to plug two pumps to 1 ATO but the lack of space (and the questionable design) kept me from using 2. Plus, considering how much water evaporation has to occur for the ATO to go off (salinity was hitting 1.028 range before the ATO kicked in but then again, it might be a chemistry issue), I am considering purchasing a Spectrapure because of the precision of a pressure switch.
ATO.jpg
alt="" />

I purchased the tank with 2 skimmers, the Elos NS-100 and a Bubble Magnus clone made by SC Aquariums. From the little I've played with it, the NS-100 is a pretty horrible skimmer. I've played with seaclones and have dialed in the venturi to skim a better product than this unit. It uses a spray injection system, much like Aqua-C's products, but uses a cheap looking plastic pinch as air control.

The Bubble Magnus clone, on the other hand, is a beast. I've added an adjustable airline valve to the needlewheel pump and it has doubled the skim production. I've had to tie on a filter sock because of how much bubbles were being produced.
Skimmer.jpg
alt="" />

On a side note: whenever you purchase products that are designed, built, or intended for another market (Europe, Asia, Australia, do Africans even practice reefing?! :tongue:), you CANNOT find plumbing fittings at your local home improvement store. Inlet pipe is something like a 22mm bulkhead and the flex PVC that comes with the Elos system will not fit any standard bulkhead sizes. I had to thread it through a 1" pvc that i shaved down with some sand paper and used 2 clamps to keep it down. The outlet pipe was piping i purchased intended for the Fluval 206 canister. I think it's a 19mm flex tubing.

10 different trips to the hardware store and 3 days of laboring in tiny spaces:
Waterin.jpg
alt="" />

KITTY APPROVED!!!

Red Kelp on rock in fuge
FugeSetup.jpg
alt="" />

the fuge currently has about 2.5" of sandbed. I am going to add another 2.5" and run a DSB in the fuge. After reading an article by Dr. Ron Shimek, I am convinced that a DSB is a HUGE asset to any reef tank. If you have any experience running a DSB, please let me know your experience with them.

My new Samsung Galaxy S3 doesn't do a good job of taking pictures of the livestock. I guess this super phone's camera can't filter out the blues from the 20k bulb... with that said, thankfully, my girlfriend was the salutatorian from SCAD with a photography degree! Maybe some of you guys can help me ID some of these corals?? I know the genus but not necessarily the species of all my corals.

I'll put up some livestock pics as soon as I can. At this point, here's what's in the tank:

Green/Pink tipped birdsnest
Red Cap Monti
Purple Monti
Teal/Blue tort
Green Milli
Green Stylophora
Purple Maxima Clam
Rainbow Acan
Generic Green Zoas
Green Bay Packers Zoas (I think)
Orange mouth/Yellow tentacle Zoas
LOTR Zoa
Unidentified Zoas (green blotches on mouth, brown tentacles with red tips)
a watermelon chalice or a green eyed cup coral (i need help with ID, OBVIOUSLY :yes:)
Green Duncans
GSP
Purple flower pot (won't stop growing... any suggestions to impede its growth?)
Green/Blue ricordea
generic purple mushrooms
superman mushroom
blue-green chromis
pair of watchman gobies with pistol shrimp
3 firefish
1 cleaner shrimp

Almostfinished.jpg
alt="" />

i think i'm a bit overstocked but i have almost no aggression in the tank. it's funny to see the watchman try to bully around the firefish like they're tough only to dive back into their hole at the speed of light as soon as i look from top down.

On another side note, does anyone have experience with Nerite snails? I have 1 nerite in the tank, found him on the carpet yesterday and it doesn't seem to be dead. there's not much response from it but it definitely is still alive...

any suggestions and feedback would be much appreciated!

MOD!!! send me a link to join the reef club please? i am inept and can't seem to figure it out through the site.

thanks!!!!

Jin

Edit: oh... and i was thinking maybe i switch over from white to black sand? anyone know where i can source down some black sand in a finer grain size?

Edit: and how do you remove a rusty, stripped screw from the hinges?

Jin.Moon;843051 wrote: Thanks!

Yeah, I'm running a JBJ ATO but i think it's a chemistry issue. I followed a DIY receipe and started dosing Epsom salt (Magnesium Chloride), Ball's Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) and Baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) and by freeing up the Calcium and Bicarbonate, it's precipitating extra NaCl (Sodium Chloride or salt). I'm no chemist so any experts that might be more knowledgeable with reef chemistry could maybe shed more light on this.

I'm pretty sure it's not evaporation because I stayed on top of the evaporation and kept refilling the sump... :confused2:

Yep, you're beyond me :thumbs:

Back