Hello, the addiction has hit me hard!

nhannon8

Market
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the saltwater addiction and it looks to be a fun journey. I'm sure my start is like a lot of you, my 3 year old daughter saw Finding Nemo for the hundredth time and in her best "puppy dog eyes, daddy please" look said she wanted a Nemo. I thought, why not, and 3 months of research later I am starting a new reef tank. I have read so much and asked so many questions at my local aquarium stores that it all runs together. I'm sure I will be on here with specific questions in the future but I will give you a quick rundown of my setup.

75 gallon drilled tank
10 gallon refugium
15 gallon sump
Eshopps 150 skimmer
2 powerheads
Return pump, not sure what brand/size, came with the setup
About 50lbs of dead rock
100 gpd ro/di unit
Coralife T5 H.O. W/lunar
2 200W heaters (one of which mysteriously fell of the kitchen counter when I was in the other room, first casualty, and of course it was the expensive one that broke, lol)

I purchased the tank, stand, sump, rock, pump, powerheads, heaters and light used. Everything else I have acquired over the past few weeks. I plan on purchasing some live rock, hopefully locally, to help seed the dead rock I have now. The previous owner cleaned and dried the rock well, but I cleaned it again and have been curing it for about two weeks now, changing the water every other day to try to get rid of the leaching phosphates.

I started filling the tank last night, man that's a slow process, and my wife turned the water off this afternoon. I have a heater and a powerhead in there now to get the water ready. When I get home tomorrow, I work for the railroad and am out of town every other day, I am adding the salt. I am fortunate to have the complete backing of my wife and her assurance that she will help feed and monitor the tank the days I am out of town as long as she doesn't have to do any water changes.

So, tomorrow is the salt. And in a few days the rock, dead and what live I can acquire. Soon after that I plan on sand. Probably going to use "dead" sand and try to get my co-worker, who is on here also, to give me a cup of his sand to seed mine. I plan to cycle the tank with a piece of deli shrimp and the liquid bacteria I purchased at the ARC sponsor in Kennesaw. I have been told I can use a couple Clown's, but I don't want my daughter and son to wake up one morning and see Nemo doing the backstroke. One thing I have learned so far is you can talk to 50 people and get 75 opinions. I'm just trying to do what I think will work best in my situation.

Well, I think this is a long enough introduction....
I look forward to talking to and hopefully meeting many of you through this obsession. From what I have seen so far, saltwater people are very opinionated, but also some of the friendliest people I have met.

Until next time, Nathan.

Welcome,Grab hold of your wallet and enjoy the ride.:D

I have a five year old, and worried about the same thing. I just set one up after a 10 yr hiatus. I've had corals since the mid 80's
No fish to cycle? Ive heard of that. Sorta .. Somebody told me , she cycled her tank with ammonia because she didnt want to deal with damsels. iI never had a yellow tail damsel or a domino or a pair of zebra damsels ever die. I always get the tiniest ones for my coral tank. I like them.
I bought the clown after a few months than a lawn mower blenny.

welcome nathen youll find this club very helpfull all you have to do is ask and someone will usually have an answer for you. let me know when your tank is up and running and stable and ill throw a frag or two your way as well.

Hi and welcome
Sounds like you have a good game plan , can't wait to see pics once its going.

Welcome Nathan. Looks like you got things rolling in the right direction. :) glad to hear you are going with a fish less cycle. Why put a living creature thru a painful process when there are other options available. The shrimp works well from what I have been told. I used ammonia myself. If you do that, make sure it is pure ammonia. Ace Janitorial Strength is pure.

Good luck and don't forget to post lots of pictures along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darrrenjmartin;884532 wrote: I have a five year old, and worried about the same thing. I just set one up after a 10 yr hiatus. I've had corals since the mid 80's
No fish to cycle? Ive heard of that. Sorta .. Somebody told me , she cycled her tank with ammonia because she didnt want to deal with damsels. iI never had a yellow tail damsel or a domino or a pair of zebra damsels ever die. I always get the tiniest ones for my coral tank. I like them.
I bought the clown after a few months than a lawn mower blenny.

I cycled my tank fishless. Live rock and then just added fish food (dry and froze) to act as feed for the bacto. Then a couple of hardy inverts. First fish in were a pair of clowns that are still there 1 1/2 later. No sacrificial damsels involved.

Well, here it is. I filled the tank with RO/DI water and salt a few days ago. Went to turn on the pump and of course it's fried. Jen was very helpful and now I have a Mag7. I added about 30lbs of live rock to the 55 dead I have and the journey is officially under way. In the morning I am going to add the tank starter and a dead deli shrimp.

Any comments on the aquascaping would be appreciated. I don't plan on cleaning the back glass, and I wanted an "L" shape on the right side with a single tower on the left. I think it worked out good and the wife likes it, so I guess it must be a keeper, but if any of you see future issues with the way it's stacked please let me know.

A couple questions:

Do I add sand now or wait a bit to start to see the cycle? I'm concerned about some die off from the live rock during transport and it getting mixed up in the sand bead. As I stated, I plan to start with mostly dead sand and maybe a small bag of live sand to seed it.

I currently do not have water flowing through my refugium, it is dry. Should I have the water flowing through there with some live rock rubble while the cycle gets started or do I wait till the tank is cycled? If I do fill it, should I put some chaeto in now or wait?

I am so excited I can't stand it. Months of planning and here we go!!!
885252=47040-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375063678.580524.jpg
>
885252=47040-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375063678.580524.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375063678.580524.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
885252=47041-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375063699.168285.jpg
>
885252=47041-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375063699.168285.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375063699.168285.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

I would put the sand in now so it has a chance to populate as well. If you are using some live rock you may not see a spike from the shrimp because the bacteria on the live rock will consume the ammonia. Any die off from the live rock will only provide more of an ammonia source to feed new bacteria on the dead rock you are trying to turn into live rock.

Bottom line, you are off to a good start. Go slow and give it time and you will be fine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to ARC , looking good. You may want to consider a little less rock in the tank looks like not much room for fish to swim and add the sand now.

Sounds like you spent an adequate amount of time doing your research!
- Try to place your heater in the SUMP if possible.
- You can purchase live sand, it is a bit harder to add the sand to the aquarium after it is already filled. You can lower it down carefully with a cup, or you can pour it down a PVC pipe that is inserted in the water so that the sand goes directly to the bottom.
- Rinsing the sand is usually recommended before adding it to your tank.
- Expect to see a Diatom Bloom 3 - 5 weeks later. Sand that is 3 inches or less can be vacuumed to remove debris. Sand that is deeper like 4-6 inches is considered a Deep Sand Bed "DSB" and requires special precautions.
- The biggest questions that will determine where you go from here is whether you will have live corals, or fish only.
- Fish-Only gives you a much wider selection of the types of fish you can have.
- When adding coral, you must be careful to restrict your reef selection to 'reef safe' fish.

Good Luck to You!!!

Back