Help Cooling Aquapod 24 15 HQI

steve358

Reaction score
Ok I need some help, cooling my Aquapod 24 150 HQI MY temp at times is 85, and I find myself switching the light off constantly in an attempt to cool the tank down. I have seen the ice probe chillers but it appears you have to drill the tank, which I don’t have the option of doing. I am unable to use a nano tuner option as this has a HQI light. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

well an ice probe chiller isn't going to knock it down much anyway. Looks like you need a chiller. 1/15th current or a jbj chiller would knock it down for ya. also some people suggest directing fans at the top of the water, which may drop it down a couple of degrees but it will also make water evaporate much quicker.

I have a 24 Nano...8 dolloar oscillating fan (clip on) and it went from 86 to 79-80...and to think I was gonna get a chiller lol

oh the other option is running ur a/c at 67 degrees. but thats a bit costly. what is your air temp?

That is my same $8 fan... Works like a charm on my 55 gal.

BTW: Russ, I think there is something that we can do with your rockwork now looking at a pic (not bad the way it is though for a nano!)

Steve,
I have the 24g Aquapod (open top, no hood) with the 150w sunpod.

Here are my suggestions after lots of experimenting.

1) Make sure the room is not warm...not going to have much luck keep the temp down if the room is 80 degrees. I had an issue originally because although my thermostat is set to 78, I kept the door close and that room got a bit warmer. I know keep the doors open and that room is cool.

2) If you are using the glass lid, make sure to keep the glass slid to the front so there is a nice gap in the back.

3) I have a cheap ($6) 4" fan from Frys sitting directly on top of a half sponge (from the original two sponges, I now have 4 that I rotate through). Think of it like a swamp cooler. I tried various positions of blowing the fan across the water, but since I needed the glass top on, I ended up going blowing air into the wet sponge. Since the warm water from the tank funnels through that one spot, I think it's also the most efficient. Not to mention, it's the least obtrusive.

4) I tried triggering the fan with a temp controller but found that it works just as well to hook it to the same timer as the sunpod. I've not noticed any sudden dips in temp.

With the above, my tank is stable at 78.5 degrees. My original temps were 83. I think you can keep the temp down to a half to full degree over the ambient temp of the room.

my little nano made my computer room a sauna

I bought a window AC unit, that fixed tank temp and the room is a lot better, but we do have 8 lcd's and 6 computers in here

Im listening Brandon...Ill pm you my number....give me a call tomorrow after 10am anytime...I know your not busy :/ lol Let me know if you need more pics...

BTW Good Ideas Loren!

Oh yeah, what kind of powerheads are you using? Those can add some heat as well. I've got a pair of MJ 900s

My tank is set up the same way Tnyga has his set up. I'm battling the heat from a 250w halide though. The temp in my home stays at 76 and the tank cools with no problem.

If you do go with a fan, please keep a close eye on the water level in your return chamber. I've seen my water level at 4" in 2-3 days. make sure you manually top-off daily or get a auto top-off unit. If you think you may forget to check it, just make sure you don't have a glass heater in there.

Back