Help deciding T5 Bulbs

vettesarebest

Market
Reaction score
Ok guys this is what I am planning on getting. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SL2115">http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SL2115</a>

I don't know much about T5's but I am going to be doing some reading. I would like to know what would be the best combination of bulbs to get for this light as far as colors go. I would like to have a color range to be at 20K.

Thanks guys

dont know much about that light but make sure the bulbs have individual reflectors, thats the key to T5 lighting.

I am no expert and have only been running t'5 for a few months but here is what I found from GrimReefer on RC.

1 UVL Aquasun, Super Actinic, ATI Blue Plus, ATI Aquablue is close to 14k (this is what I have)

Swap the ATI Blue Plus for another ATI Aquablue or GE6500K to get a little whiter look.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__Tek_Light:_4-39W_T5_High-Output_Fixture_with_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply">http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__Tek_Light:_4-39W_T5_High-Output_Fixture_with_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply</a>

Same fixture and does include individual reflectors. This version is $340 with bulbs. The non-bulb version is only $288.

Bryan, I've found that with T5's you have to add more 'blue' bulbs than you'd think to get a bluish look. Right now I have two 10000K, one 6500K, two actinic plus (460nm) and one true actinic (420nm) bulb. The tank looks very white with all the lights on, maybe a 10 or 11K. I'm thinking of replacing the 6500K bulb with an actinic.

hth

I got all of my T5s and ballasts from http://www.ReefGeek.com">www.ReefGeek.com</a> They are awesome (the lights and the website) and I highly recommend!
I am running 2 Blue Plus, 2 AquaBlue 11k, 1 GE Sun 6.5k, and 1 Pure Actinic. All of my bulbs are getting pretty old and I should replace them soon.
Make sure you get individual reflectors; one reflector for each bulb. This is very important to really get all of the light out of each bulb. Also I highly recommend spending a little extra money and getting the Ice Cap 660 Ballast. The IC 660 ballast is great and really pushes the bulbs and makes them put out tons of light! :) :) :)

JustOneMoreTank;42714 wrote:
I am running 2 Blue Plus, 2 AquaBlue 11k, 1 GE Sun 6.5k, and 1 Pure Actinic.
The IC 660 ballast is great and really pushes the bulbs and makes them put out tons of light! :) :) :)

My 10Ks are actually the AquaBlue's, so you have the same bulb configuration as I. Are you overdriving them with the IC 660 ballasts? If so, I'd love to do a PAR comparison between our tanks to see how much more light you get with the IC's. We could add the data to the club's PAR thread:thumbs:

I thought that my AquaBlue bulbs were 11k (not that there is much of a difference between 10 and 11 I know).
I actually changed out some bulbs that I had forgotten about. I got some off of Reef Geek when I added 2 bulbs and got the Ice Cap ballast. I used to only run 4 bulbs over my 120g tank and now I have 6 bulbs. 4 bulbs are overdriven with the IC 660 ballast and the other two bulbs are normal output with the standard ballast from Reef Geek.
I have front to back: Blue Plus, Aquablue 11k, Blue Plus, Pure Actinic, Blue Plus, and Aquablue 11k . The middle 4 bulbs are run by the better Ice Cap Ballast. The two bulbs on the outside (front and back most bulbs) are normal output, run by the standard ballast.
I would love to test the PAR. I have always wanted to see what that would be for my tank. :) :)

Yeah, I believe the AquaBlues are 11Ks. Are your bulbs 72"? Mine are 48", but still I think depth x to depth x comparisons should be okay. Let's borrow the club's PAR meter!

Maroons16;42669 wrote: You still have to choose what kind of bulbs you want though right?
Yes. The $340 unit comes with bulbs you just pick the ones you want from the website.

Keep in mind as a general rule, the more blue you go the less growth but the more color or rather the less brown. So most people try to keep a good balance between bulbs. I personally run 4 MidDay (6000k) bulbs and 2 Giesman Pure Actinic (the only actually truly actinic T5 that I know of). Those are surrounded by MH 250w 10k XMs so I don't need as much blue in my tank as a pure T5 setup.

Big D;42932 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Bryan, your link is to a 6 lamp fixture... Cameron's link is to a 4 lamp. Not sure what size tank it's going on, but seeing as how it's the 36" bulbs, you'll probably fine with a 4 lamp. I run 8 on my 180gal. As far as where to get the fixture, you might want to try Sam at Aquabuys since he's local. It will probalby cost you about $20 more after you buy the bulbs, but you'll have the piece of mind that the bulbs won't be broken in shipping since they are very fragile. Here's a link, not sure if he keeps these fixtures in stock or not though:</span>
Good catch. I just read the description below the picture that said:

36"-39W 4 lamps
36"L x 11"W x 2.5"H

Should have read the line description instead. Yes that would be $430 with bulbs at ReefGeek and I would just go with Sam in that case especially if he will match and throw in 6 bulbs for the same price.

Back