help! how do you fix a leaky bulkhead?

jessezm

Market
Reaction score
I really can't get in there with a wrench. period. It drips about once every ten or fifteen seconds, and started today (I must have leaned againse the pipe and loosened it when doing maintenance today...

Will it salt over and close up on its own?

Is it advisable to slather it with aquarium silicone?

There is just no way to reach this thing without really tearing things down, and I just don't have the will or the time for that... I can get to it with my fingers, but there's no room for a wrench with the other pipes there. HELP!

Use a ton of superglue Jesse. If its just a small leak as you describe that should stop it cold. Then you can silicone over it if you like.

The thick stuff I presume?

And what do I do when I superglue my hand to the underside of my tank? It's not comfortable under there for two minutes--I can't imagine what it'd be like for two hours while I wait for my wife to come home and call the paramedics... (I can see it now!)

if i absolutely cant get to it, silicon has worked for me. it also allows you to take it apart when/if the time comes.

Hmm... the problem with super glue is, what do you do when the time comes to take it off?

Yah the gel stuff. Just wipe the area dry and squeeze it on. It'll bond on cure almost instantly with the salt water and plug it up.

I can't help you with your clumsy hand though... perhaps you could gnaw it off cleanly so they can reattach it.

I'm still worried about getting stuck up under there myself!

Im sure dry surface is better but silicon diffenetly works on wet sufaces also. Sometimes you have to scrub/wipe the wet area clean first. (bacteria, slim...) Ive applied silicon underwater a few times and it has worked. Ive found It even cures underwater relatively fast.

But if there is any water pressure pushing it away from your sealing area, that is a problem. i Used it on the inside when possable

I fought a leaky bulkhead for about 3 months. Finally just had to get to it and replace. I tried silicone and superglue it would stop for a while and then find the worst possible moment to start again. Had to cut it out because of the glue.

Wear a latex glove with the super glue and when your done leave the glove.:doh:

Back