Help: Hydor ATO Keeps Overfilling

smanenti

Reaction score
Hi there! Need some help.

My Hydor ATO has been awesome with one (and it's a big one) exception. The sensor in the sump has 3 sensors - for low, medium, and high water lines. When my sump level drops below the "low" water sensor, the pump kicks in and begins to fill. The RO/DI water will fill to the top edge of the "high" water sensor and then shut down. This leaves me with just enough water above the top sensor to trip the warning alarm. Of course, the alarm will then sound until enough evaporation happens (day/s) or I unplug it to relieve myself of the annoying sound (which is what I always end up doing).

Any thoughts? I've tried moving the sensor in the sump up, down, and even ensured it's sitting 100% level on the suction cup but all to no avail.

Help me keep my sanity!!!

I just called Hydor and they said that my pump is likely too powerful and therefore fills too quickly for the sensors to work (shut off) in time. They're suggesting I either zip tie my 1/2" rubber water line a bit to pinch it off a little - which should slow the flow rate - or install a flow rate valve inline somewhere.

Still curious to know your thoughts and which route you'd go if you have the same situation.

Ringo®;985558 wrote: What pump are you using with it?

I'm not exactly sure as I'm at the office right now but will check when i get home. My LFS sold me the pump with the Hydor so I thought it would all work as planned. My bad. LOL.

I know it's a fairly small pump that sits in the bottom of my 5 gal food-grade RODI bucket but just don't know the make/model/flow.

Report back when you find out. I would go with a smaller pump if it was me.

I have the same ATO and your pump size is exactly whats going. Go to Pure Reef in Alpharetta (they sell that ATO) and pickup (I think) a MJ1200. Either way, they gave me the correct recommendated pump for the ATO and it works like a charm!

smanenti;985560 wrote: I just called Hydor and they said that my pump is likely too powerful and therefore fills too quickly for the sensors to work (shut off) in time. They're suggesting I either zip tie my 1/2" rubber water line a bit to pinch it off a little - which should slow the flow rate - or install a flow rate valve inline somewhere.

Still curious to know your thoughts and which route you'd go if you have the same situation.

I wouldn't pinch your hose ever! That's asking for trouble IMO.

My Tunze came with the smaller 5/8th" tubing (I think) it's definitely smaller than 1/2"! It's also called air line tubing!
Did they mention the tubing being too big? That sounds like the issue to me but I would swap it out not pinch it.

MJ1200 seem too big of a pump, IMO but I know nothing about that ATO...

Maybe it's back siphoning make sure the highest point on the pump is higher than your water level it's being pumped too

jrhunter0000;985737 wrote: Maybe it's back siphoning make sure the highest point on the pump is higher than your water level it's being pumped too

The pump is fine wherever but the hose line needs to be higher where the water exits. I tied mine above the sump to the return line. Tunze recommends the water exits into the overflow.

Back