Help, I don't want this in my tank!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
My little "very special Juvenile Clown (Lucky) from $$$ Collection" went missing this evening for dinner. It''s always out and never misses a meal. It's still very small and I'm surprised its the first time that it went into the over flow. When I opened the over flow and found "Lucky" I also found that its jammed packed up with pineapple sponges. Zillions, well you know...a horrible amount. :wow2:
:sick:
This is a NEW set up, I haven't even got the lights in the canopy and 1/2 of the equipment on it yet. I got Lucky out and made a REALLY big mess of the sponges. I can't possible dip them all out, how can I get these out of the overflow without them going into my tank?:sad:
It's been a long day, I'm exhausted, brains fried... Please tell me a fast, easy, way to clean this out. All I can come up with is to use a wet vac!:unsure:
Thanks

Bgcoop8784;961562 wrote: I had a bunch in mine, I was told they weren't a bad thing. They are starting to go away now. What about siphoning them out into a filter sock and dumping the water back into the tank.

Oh, thank you I love that idea. Easy enough!

Ringo®;961563 wrote: Expose them to air.

What do you mean? This tank actually cycled for five months. I was scrapping them from inside the tank but that isn't a problem anymore, I thought they were gone :(

Camellia;961568 wrote: What do you mean?

Air exposure will kill sponges. I wouldn't worry about it if it was me. They come and go.

Pineapple sponges are actually beneficial, they help filter your water. That being said, if you still want them gone a decent amount of light will melt them away as well.

This was seriously nasty! I scrapped them off, siphoned it, rinsed it 3 times with RO water and mixed up a quick 5 fresh 5 gallons of saltwater to refill. No joke the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket was a 1/2" thick with it.
I've always had them in my tanks and don't mind them but this was beyond beneficial. I tried to get a pic but it just didn't show how really gross it was.

Those sponges are good for your tank. They are good filter feeder. A sign of a healthy tank. I got tons in mine. They're kinda cute in my opinion. Leave them be. They really don't bother anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back