Help! I dropped my LEDs in my tank.

chull13

Market
Reaction score
So I just got the Current USA Powerbrite LEDs for my tank and they somehow fell into my tank yesterday while they were on. They spent all day in the tank and when I got home from work I pulled them out and they smelled like an electrical fire. Needless to say, they are not working now. I took them apart to dry them out but they are all corroded. It doesn't look promising but do you guys think there is any way to salvage them? If not, that is $100 down the drain!!

a>

ill ask my roomate when he gets home, hes an electrical engineer

I can't really think of a way to save them...maybe scrape them down to clean metal...dunno really, here's to hoping its not lost

Likely, if the entire unit was submerged, you fried the transformer that turns AC to DC for the LED's. The LEDs themselves, may be ok, depending on the level of corrosion.

At any rate, the entire unit needs to be disassembled, flushed liberally with RO water, and dried thoroughly if it's ever going to work again. Which unit was it? You'll probably need to do some soldering on the PCB to fix it. Likely the parts that do still work will fail significantly sooner, too.

I just got off the phone with DFS and they are going to replace them!!! I can't believe it. All I have to do is pay for shipping! They definately have a customer for life!!!

WOW that is a good deal. I have never seen these lights are you only using these or are they an addition to other lights.

Roundman, I am using them as an addition to my 6 T5s. They really add a shimmer that you lose by not having a MH. Plus they are gorgeous when you run them by themselves (at night). It's like a really brite moon. I would definately recommend them.

I would love to see them when you get them set up, if you do not mind me inviting myself over. LOL

chull13;169278 wrote: Roundman, I am using them as an addition to my 6 T5s. They really add a shimmer that you lose by not having a MH. Plus they are gorgeous when you run them by themselves (at night). It's like a really brite moon. I would definately recommend them.

David (BigD) does the same thing. When Cameron had them, he couldn's see the shimmer with the T5's lit, but David changed the angle a bit and he likes the effect. I haven't seen 'em yet, but I'm going to have to check them out!

Back