Help- I raised my Magnesium too high!

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I've been very busy, tired and stressed trying to remove bamboo from my yard.

Yesterday I did a water change on my tank and my Alk was a bit lower when I tested it several hours later so I dosed it using BRS two part, I must have dosed Mag instead of Alk. I've tested my Mag two times this morning using my Red Sea kit. My first result was 1580, then 1620.

Will Mag at those levels harm anything in a reef tank? Mine tends to drop and usually needs to be dosed about one week after A week.

It should be fine. You could do water changes to try and lower it, but your tank will probably just consume it to normal levels.

No, I raise mine around 1500+ after a hair algae bryopsis algae out break.

where was it at before? some times changes greater than 100ppm/day can lead to issues but I think youll be fine. Mg works with ALK and will raise too when Mg is raised so keep an eye on that too. I would do some water changes or have it ready just in case depending on where your numbers were at before

Crew;1044256 wrote: Does that work?
Absolutely sir! I keep several 64 oz bottles of Tech M around in case of an outbreak. Sometimes the Byropsis comes in to my system from other reefers tanks from the frag plugs. If you don't control it fast it spreads like a wild flower.

Back