Help ID this creature?

rmcgookey

Supporting
Reaction score
I came home from out of town and see a ton of tiny purple/brown worm-like creatures attached to live rock and snails with a thin mucous-like extension coming out of them. These are very tiny and the extension coming out are about 2 inches max. Any ideas?

photo attached. Thanks!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
229475=13562-DSC03365.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
229475=13562-DSC03365.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC03365.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

It's a worm of some sort. Beer seems to have fogged my memory and I can't remember it's exact name.

Vermatid snail. Spelling may be off, but that is it. Lives in it's tube rather than a normal shell and sends out a web to catch debris. Not harmful, but may bug corals if there is not enough flow to keep the web off. They seem to die off the longer your water stays really clean.

They can be a pain stringing their mucus around the tank. I typically snap them off when they get too big.

theplatypus, I tried sending you a pm, but it appears you pm box is full!

The worst thing about vermetid snails is that they're pretty sharp. I've cut my hands on them more than a few times.

DannyBradley;230518 wrote: The worst thing about vermetid snails is that they're pretty sharp. I've cut my hands on them more than a few times.
Me too. My pinky was bigger than my thumb. Bad, funky infection. When in doubt, poor some tussin on it!

Back