Help maintaining macroalgae in a nano tank

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I need some suggestions please. I had some Caulerpa brachypus </em>on a piece of live rock that I bought a while back, and it is starting to take over my 20 gallon. It was pretty, and still is a bit, but it is covering most of my rock now. Is there anything that I can introduce that eats this stuff, or do I just need to do some gardening? It really wraps itself around the rock pretty well. I don't want it to choke out my corals or anything, and it's starting to make my tank look like a freshwater tank.

Thanks,
Brad

it won't stop until it chokes out everything else. prune it, do whatever you have to do to keep it back.

tangs and rabbitfishes will eat it but i wouldn't recommend keeping one in your nano. i've also watched hermits eat it but it seems like they're scraping the leaves more microalgae more than anything...

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll get the pruning shears out!

Thanks!

Sal had (maybe still does?) some teensy weensy yellow tangs for $14.95. I put one in my tank and this little guy is like a bushhog... always busy, always working. I don't see why you couldn't put one of those in that tank for at least a couple weeks, especially since you have no other fish except the clown pair.

Back