help me budge build my frag tank

telsonman

Market
Reaction score
I acquired a deep blue 30g RR frag tank over the weekend. I'm wanting to build this on a budget. I already have a biocube and a 75g reef tank. The 75 has a fuge set up, reactors, skimmers, apex, etc. I don't want to put all that money into the frag tank. I'm thinking about keeping it simple. I got the deep blue stand with it. I have 23" of horizontal space underneath to work with, or enough for a 10 gallon aquarium. I'm thinking about plumbing it simple. Build a 3 chamber sump out of a 10g aquarium, with a filter sock in one, skimmer in two, and return in three. I'll try to make a filter down rack for purigen and GFO in the baffles before the skimmer. I'm not sure how fast of a return pump to get because I don't know how much flow to expect. I also don't know what size skimmer I could fit in there. Obviously I don't think a big RO skimmer would fit, but I don't know if a nano skimmer would work right if I just placed it in a sump. This is all assuming I would need a skimmer anyway. The only fish I'd have in there is probably a clown or something. Granted a skimmer would be needed for SPS.

Also, the light debate is up. I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture already, so I could replace the bulbs and have a t5 set up. Or, I could put LEDs on it. I was thinking about 24" reef breeder over it. Part of me thinks LEDs would be too much light and I don't want to bleach anything.

Thoughts?

Run the frag tank off of the 75, that way you don't need filtration or need to worry about a completely different system. How's that work for budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not well because the frag tank will be in a different room. Even if I were to put them near other, I'd have to run pipes through a wall

Telson send me some pics of the area where the 75 is and the 30 will go in pm or text, I think you have my cell. May be cheaper to cut in and plumb it to all run off one setup, if your equipment can handle it. All you would need is return pump(which u need anyways) and pvc pipe. I'd be willing to come by and help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will be about 30ft apart. Linking the two is pretty much out of the system.

Back