Help me choose / wrasse

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Anyone who knows me is aware that I have a giant Clarkii clown in my 65g display that is a real terror. She chases any and all fish in the aquarium, hosts in a giant leather and fans the substrate in any an every open spot. So, I don't have much in the way of livestock and there aren't any corals whatsoever on the sandbed (they get covered daily). I've been talking for a long time about getting rid of her and adding some new fish and I'd like to go with wrasses. I'm hoping that you good people can give me some suggestions and the gentle prod I need to start trying to catch her. I can't add anything while she's still in there but once she's gone I'll have the following:
  • 1 large blue spotted watchman goby paired with a pistol shrimp
  • One melanarus wrasse.
That's it. That's all that is currently in my system along with the immortal Clarkii clown. Once she's gone I'd like to add:
  • Starry blenny
  • Carpenter's Flasher wrasse
  • Tomini tang
Do you guys see any issues with mixing the 3 new fish with the 2 I already will have in there? I know my 65g is on the small side for a Tomini tang but it's the smallest one and I think it will be fine, thoughts? Are there any other fish that you just love that you think would be better options than the one's I listed? Let me know what you think and hopefully I'll get off my rear and pull the Clarkii sooner rather than later.

I love the plan! All of those fish will be fine. If you’re able to find a relatively small Tomini, 65g will also not be a problem at all (assuming you have a protein skimmer for aeration, which I’m pretty sure you do).

Starry Blennies are one of my favorites. But a Midas blenny is a beautiful alternative too. They won’t eat algae, but still a stunning fish, and they are negatively bouyant so they have to always be moving, like an eel, in order to swim. This give the tank TONS of movement and personality. You may be able to pull off both Blennies as they occupy different environments, but I wouldnt risk it in a 65g. One blenny only is the best choice.

A replacement option for the Carpenter wrasse is any other species of fairy wrasse. There are so many, and they are all incredibly similar. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of social wrasses. These are equally beautiful, active swimmers, and cheap (maybe $20). And they look decent under actinic lighting also.

My only other suggestion would be an Ocellaris or Percula clownfish. The movement of how they alternate their pectoral fins provides a nice touch to a tanks aesthetics. I find Occy’s to be much prettier (my opinion only), and moderately more peaceful of the two choices. Still, as far as clowns go, I’d rate Clarkiis and Maroons maybe an 9/10 on aggression. Percs would be a 4/10 and Occys a 3/10. On average, of course. After they are in your tank for the first time; feel free to put your hand in there. Let them know that your hand is part of the ecosystem as well, even on rare occasion, and they are more likely to respect and and not bite it. Lol

Like Andrew said. I'd only go with one Blenny too. My Stary is a real piece of work. Always nipping at me whenever my hands are in the tank, doesn't like any tools I stick in there either. Any other fish that gets too close when it's not in the mood gets nipped too. I've seen marks on just about every fish in the tank other than the Nugget Clowns. Another Blenny in there and I bet it'd be war.

With Wrasses I like any of the Fairy's. My Orange Back was a real cool fish. When I was trying to decide I used the link below to do my research and worked that info into my budget. Good luck deciding, there's so many to choose from.

Anyone who knows me is aware that I have a giant Clarkii clown in my 65g display that is a real terror. She chases any and all fish in the aquarium, hosts in a giant leather and fans the substrate in any an every open spot. So, I don't have much in the way of livestock and there aren't any corals whatsoever on the sandbed (they get covered daily). I've been talking for a long time about getting rid of her and adding some new fish and I'd like to go with wrasses. I'm hoping that you good people can give me some suggestions and the gentle prod I need to start trying to catch her. I can't add anything while she's still in there but once she's gone I'll have the following:
  • 1 large blue spotted watchman goby paired with a pistol shrimp
  • One melanarus wrasse.
That's it. That's all that is currently in my system along with the immortal Clarkii clown. Once she's gone I'd like to add:
  • Starry blenny
  • Carpenter's Flasher wrasse
  • Tomini tang
Do you guys see any issues with mixing the 3 new fish with the 2 I already will have in there? I know my 65g is on the small side for a Tomini tang but it's the smallest one and I think it will be fine, thoughts? Are there any other fish that you just love that you think would be better options than the one's I listed? Let me know what you think and hopefully I'll get off my rear and pull the Clarkii sooner rather than later.
Pistol shrimp , my one regret in my tank. Constantly moving sand like a bulldozer . Constantly killing snails and hermits , constantly popping , drags loose frags into the hole of no return . Makes a dust storm in the tank every night.

Pistol shrimp , my one regret in my tank. Constantly moving sand like a bulldozer . Constantly killing snails and hermits , constantly popping , drags loose frags into the hole of no return . Makes a dust storm in the tank every night.
The only thing my pistol shrimp does is bulldoze anything that is withing in about 6 inches of his home. The sand around his home is white bc of how much he moves it. He is paired with a yellow watchman goby. I havent seen him attack any CUC. When a hermit has gotten close he just pushes it away.

I love mine. I've only ever noticed him moving sand in specific areas and get a kick out of all the popping sounds. Right now the Clarkii has made it impossible to keep any LPS on the sandbed because of all the fanning she does.

I can't keep anything on my sand bed . He either buries it or moves it . I had to retrieve my La Laker zoas frag that was knocked off when I picked up a main structure rock there was no less then 30 hermit shells and 5 or 6 snail shells ..also the emerald crab went missing and I found his she'll in there

Tiger shrimp are cool. But mine moved to different parts of the rock every few days, always the same side of the tank though. The watchman always followed.

I love the plan! All of those fish will be fine. If you’re able to find a relatively small Tomini, 65g will also not be a problem at all (assuming you have a protein skimmer for aeration, which I’m pretty sure you do).

Starry Blennies are one of my favorites. But a Midas blenny is a beautiful alternative too. They won’t eat algae, but still a stunning fish, and they are negatively bouyant so they have to always be moving, like an eel, in order to swim. This give the tank TONS of movement and personality. You may be able to pull off both Blennies as they occupy different environments, but I wouldnt risk it in a 65g. One blenny only is the best choice.

A replacement option for the Carpenter wrasse is any other species of fairy wrasse. There are so many, and they are all incredibly similar. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of social wrasses. These are equally beautiful, active swimmers, and cheap (maybe $20). And they look decent under actinic lighting also.

My only other suggestion would be an Ocellaris or Percula clownfish. The movement of how they alternate their pectoral fins provides a nice touch to a tanks aesthetics. I find Occy’s to be much prettier (my opinion only), and moderately more peaceful of the two choices. Still, as far as clowns go, I’d rate Clarkiis and Maroons maybe an 9/10 on aggression. Percs would be a 4/10 and Occys a 3/10. On average, of course. After they are in your tank for the first time; feel free to put your hand in there. Let them know that your hand is part of the ecosystem as well, even on rare occasion, and they are more likely to respect and and not bite it. Lol
A reef tank is not a ”reef tank” without a clown or two. Everyone loves a circus! And you can’t have a circus without some clowns. One your Clarki passes on; I would consider getting a plain orange and white clown.
- wannabee

6 line they are small but beautiful colors for the price. Only thing I don't like about it they like to eat the snails and crabs m

Back