Help me decide!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Ok...after racking my brain for the last few days I have finally decided on going with a all-in-one system for the Solaris. Here are the options:

1. 30GAL Metaframe tank ($150-$200)
Pros: Cheap, easy to put together, already have tank & Canister filter.
Cons: Not asthetically pleasing, not most efficient filtration, noisy, buy HO skimmer, buy stand.

2. Current 34GAL Solana ($500 tank + stand)
Pros: Good filtration, skimmer included, most asthetically pleasing, new
Cons: Expensive, no refug

3. Finnex 30-M ($400 tank + stand)
Pros: Great filtration, refug/skimmer included, asthetically pleasing
Cons: Expensive

It's a 24" I4 Solaris. Max depth around 24" max width around 24". PFO says that PAR at 100 on the bottom we can grow anything. At MACNA the fixture was on a 36" deep tank and was getting 128ish at the bottom. The LED's are also dimable 0-100% so I can adjust it to any dept tank.

dawgdude;216338 wrote: Hmmmm. I would say finnex I guess. But if it were me, I would build a pennisula tank for that sucker so it was a little more unusual. You did say it would be better on a rectangular tank so that would be a crazy setup.

Are you talking a normal rectangular tank with the filtration baffle at one end? Hmm...interesting idea!

If you're going to do it... get a CADlights 39gal... really nice tank and you can get it as an all in one, or as the Pro set-up made to use a sump...

I vote none of the above. Buy a cube and make it reef ready with a sump.

My only experience with Finnex has been with their titanium heaters and controllers, and the US rep. All have been extremely BAD. That being the case, I would steer clear from anything Finnex.

Is this going in your fish room or upstairs somewhere?

If its in the fish room I'd say get a 24x24 starfire rimless from glass cages with a built in overflow and plumb it into your system.

If its for upstairs I think the all-in-one solana is a nice choice.

I still say CADlights. I really like the Pro series...
product_info.php

Whew... tough call... I like Dawg's idea. Just not sure if it is the BEST display knowing where you want to put it. I like the 24" rimless starfire idea... Would be a great looking tank with enough room for some good aquascaping. Just to not know how good the light spread is going to be on it. Elos Mini, like harley said, is a ver nice tank but big bucks!

mark get a 60 cube man to match the one you have already but instead of just zoas you can collect nothing but le acans and sps that way i can hit your tank up :D....no but a 60 cube is a nuice tank especially if it is all star fire

mark get a 60 cube man to match the one you have already but instead of just zoas you can collect nothing but le acans and sps that way i can hit your tank up :D....no but a 60 cube is a nuice tank especially if it is all star fire they are cheap if you go with glass cages .......but if it is just the options i would go with the solana

Xyzpdq0121;216611 wrote: Whew... tough call... I like Dawg's idea. Just not sure if it is the BEST display knowing where you want to put it. I like the 24" rimless starfire idea... Would be a great looking tank with enough room for some good aquascaping. Just to not know how good the light spread is going to be on it. Elos Mini, like harley said, is a ver nice tank but big bucks!
The cubes at the PFO booth were 40g. Believe me, I filled them both and then emptied them with Brandons wife actually. I believe they were 24 wide and had great coverage from the solaris. I actually loved the dimensions of there cubes too bad they didn't auction them. Maybe you could contact them and they could give you the dimensions.

I actually started keeping nanos with an all in one but have come to learn that nothing beats a reef ready tank with a the added water volume of a sump. Plus it gives you alot better options on a skimmer, fuge and filtration. Like Raj stated if you can plumb it in to your larger system that will be even better and save you some dough.

FutureInterest;216464 wrote: Is this going in your fish room or upstairs somewhere?

If its in the fish room I'd say get a 24x24 starfire rimless from glass cages with a built in overflow and plumb it into your system.

If its for upstairs I think the all-in-one solana is a nice choice.

I like this idea. A rimless tank is the way to go with this fixture.

Yeah, those were super nice tanks, I just couldn't help but wonder why the light was hanging so far above the tank? Better light spread?

Back