Help Me Identify Please

tshives26

Market
Reaction score
Seems I have aptasia growing right? Also, what is the red stuff growing over my zoas.

Best methods to remove both of these would great!

97e0070ac16aa3d6d59c3101ed14d8ac.jpg
alt="" />

Yep. It's aptasia but the red appears to me as some type of sponge. Peppermint shrimp will help with the aptasia

I disagree about the red. Definitely Cyano... Aphasia X will work with a needle and keep clear of the zoos.

They are all in the zoas, so should I just assume them dead when I go to treat? Also I've never heard of cyano before. What is it? Will aptasia x get rid of it too?

Cyano= cyanobacteria. These are prokaryote autotrophs that like low flow and excessive nutrients in the water.

Looks like cyano, aptasia are very hard to get rid of if left unmitigated for even a short period of time. You can try kalk paste, aptasiaX, or a mojano wand. The only other options involve removing the rock all together. In my experience killing them in any fashion within the tank results in 2-3x more popping up elsewhere. Aptasia are a royal pain to deal with, the best end-all solution is to find something that will eat them, though after the aptasia is all gone it will ultimatly starve if its an aptasia eatting machine. You could always get a aptasia eatting filefish if it gets bad enough and return it to the store once your confident they are all gone.

Back