Help me pick a skimmer

fishboy

Reaction score
I need to get a new skimmer for my 58 gallon tank. I don't really know much about skimmers so was looking for help. I only have a 10 gallon sump so i need something with a small footprint. I'm also not looking to spend a ton of money. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks

Reef Octopus stuff is pretty good for needlewheel. I have the Nw-150 on my 90g. It keeps up pretty good.

I've been looking at the octopus skimmers because they seem to be pretty reasonably priced. I was wandering what the difference was between the needlewheel model and the recirculating model? Thanks again for the help.

The needle wheel and recirc are two different things. You can probably look on google to find out the details on difference, but basically the needlewheel is the type of impeller used to draw air into the skimmer. There are also 'mesh' wheels, that can usually be interchanges with the needlewheels for improved performance.

A recirc skimmer can be a needle, mesh, or almost any other type. All recirc means is that the pump draws it's water from inside</em> the skimmer instead of outside, recirculating the water to some extent, prolonging it's dwell time in the skimmer.

Okay you and I are very close in tank and sump size. Mines a 58 with a 15 gallon sump. I'm currently running a Octopus NW-150 with good success. I do get frustrated at times as it does need some tweaking from time to time. But on a whole it does a pretty good job.

Besides that I would look at My Reef Creations new bubble plate skimmers and Xtreme NW-160 from Marine Solutions. http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Skimmers/c22_48/index.html">http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Skimmers/c22_48/index.html</a>

Both of those will probably give you the best bang for the buck and your not spending an arm a leg. Sam at Aquabuys.com sells Octopus Skimmers.

Keep in mind if your sump in under the tank in the cabinet, you'll need some room to remove the collection cup, so measure that. I built my stand and the inside is a little tight for the Octopus.

Check out the new Ocean Force by MRC. They're small, and work well. I'll post some pics later.

Skriz;221049 wrote: Check out the new Ocean Force by MRC. They're small, and work well. I'll post some pics later.

If someone (Raj) would put the Ocean Force on the MRC website I would have linked to that in my previous post. But someone (Raj) has not done that yet..:D

dough;221054 wrote: If someone (Raj) would put the Ocean Force on the MRC website I would have linked to that in my previous post. But someone (Raj) has not done that yet..:D

I wonder who that is....I should kick him! :doh:

Regarding the height on the Octo, make sure you have around 22"+ for proper height and the ability to remove the cup. This is one of the reasons I went with this skimmer versus some other brands that were too tall. There are also some gatevale mods and meshwheels you can get to enhance your Octo and get some better performance. My next one though will be a MRC Oceanforce!

All in all, the Octo is a good bang for the buck at $170 smack-a-roos.

I have an Octopus NW200 with gate valve and it is awesome! Never overflows unlike my previous skimmer Aquamedic Turbofloater-junk. Highly recommend the Octopus for the $.

Does anyone know how much the new MRC is gonna be? Is this a local person that makes these?
Thanks

fishboy;221241 wrote: Does anyone know how much the new MRC is gonna be? Is this a local person that makes these?
Thanks

MRC is a local company. Check out the website. They're also a sponsor!

a>

How about a sneak preview? :D
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
221260=13203-IMG_2899B.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
221260=13203-IMG_2899B.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2899B.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
alt="" />Once i get my sump and CA reactor done. I should look into getting one of those skimmers. And like blind said what about a sneak preview of the price????:huh:

Big D;221237 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">ATB nano cone... :up: </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">D</span>

So David is that what you're buying me for Christmas?

I had an MRC a long time ago but I wasn't a fan of the beckets. I hope the new needlewheels kiick *** though. For the time being, I'm a big fan of the octopus extreme skimmers. They have absolutely tiny footprints and are a great bang for your buck. They're the same as the MSX skimmer but also come with an additional impeller for added flexability.

I got mine from
a>, and would recommend them to anyone and everyone.  If you're getting a regular octopus get one from Sam at aquabuys though.  He's a truly stand guy and if anything goes awry he's local and stands behinds his products.

Back