Help me select fish :)

torqued

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have never been a "fish" guy, but with this new build, I went with a 180g 6ft tank specifically because I wanted to open up my options for more fish. Specifically I want more tangs :).

I have some thoughts, but I was hoping to get some ideas from you all on what fish I should get.

My initial thought was 3-4 tangs, Anthias, maybe some sand dwellers, a pair of clowns....

Keep in mind i will have a variety of corals, including mainly SPS and some LPS, and probably even a softy or two.

Also, my goal is a very high bioload (potentially 15+ fish). In my experience some of the finest SPS tanks are correlated to having lots of fish, ie lots of poop/nutrients being introduced into the water throughout the day. I have a great deal of natural and mechanical filtration planned, so I want super high bioload, with super high export.

Give me your ideas!

I'm in the same boat as you. But just getting started in the hobby I really don't have much of a clue with the coals. I know I'm going to take it slow with them. Zoas, softies and maybe some lps to start.

With the fish I'm going for a peaceful arraignment. I've got some Cardinals in qt now. The rest of your list is what I'm shooting for but I'd like some smaller wrasses too. There will be inverts too...

I've been working on a potential list in Excel.
view

I have 4 tangs that seem to get along ok since I feed them pretty heavy along with seaweed readily available for grazing

-Atlantic Blue
-Yellow
-Hippo
-Desjardin

Right now I'm a fugitive of the Tang Police though... so becareful

Sohal Tang
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo
Achilles Tang
Gold Lightning Maroons
Blue Spot Jawfish
Flame Hawkfish
Throw some wrasses in there as well

Add the Sohal Tang last, IME one of the most feisty of the tangs.

I def will have inverts as well. I love shrimp, so I have to be careful about wrasses. They tend to make a quick meal out of shrimp...

Another fish I was considering trying my luck with was the bluethroat trigger.

civics14;1087226 wrote: I have 4 tangs that seem to get along ok since I feed them pretty heavy along with seaweed readily available for grazing

-Atlantic Blue
-Yellow
-Hippo
-Desjardin

Right now I'm a fugitive of the Tang Police though... so becareful

the Tang police were all over me when I suggested a Desjardin(sailfin tang). They indicate the minimum suggested tank size is like 8'-10'.

Never really considered an Atlantic Blue....will have to look into that

I thought Triggers weren't reef or invert safe. I don't know about all the different species. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

anit77;1087241 wrote: I thought Triggers weren't reef or invert safe. I don't know about all the different species. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

In general that is true. The Bluethroat is generally an exception to that rule.

Any Trigger that does not have a beak like structure should be reef safe with caution of course. Such as your Blue Throats, Nigers, anyone that has a rounded under jaw. Clown triggers would not be but I do consider that fish the coolest in the ocean IMO.

I looked it up, neat looking fish. I may add it to my list as well. Sounds very personable.

Following along,

Yellow or purple tang
Blue tang
Clown pair
Watchmen goby

Just to name a few.

Torqued;1087220 wrote: Hey folks,

I have never been a "fish" guy, but with this new build, I went with a 180g 6ft tank specifically because I wanted to open up my options for more fish. Specifically I want more tangs :).

I have some thoughts, but I was hoping to get some ideas from you all on what fish I should get.

My initial thought was 3-4 tangs, Anthias, maybe some sand dwellers, a pair of clowns....

Keep in mind i will have a variety of corals, including mainly SPS and some LPS, and probably even a softy or two.

Also, my goal is a very high bioload (potentially 15+ fish). In my experience some of the finest SPS tanks are correlated to having lots of fish, ie lots of poop/nutrients being introduced into the water throughout the day. I have a great deal of natural and mechanical filtration planned, so I want super high bioload, with super high export.

Give me your ideas!

Great choice!! Everyone loves when the circus comes to town. A reef tank is not a reef tank until you bring in the circus act; especially when you are considering bringing in :clown: :clown: "a pair of clowns". Let the smiles begin as you watch the greatest act of the circus, the clowns of course, make it around in their new home.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1087253 wrote: Great choice!! Everyone loves when the circus comes to town. A reef tank is not a reef tank until you bring in the circus act; especially when you are considering bringing in :clown: :clown: "a pair of clowns". Let the smiles begin as you watch the greatest act of the circus, the clowns of course, make it around in their new home.

Wannabee
…and just then the sea cucumber looks over to the mollusk and says: With friends like these, who needs anemones?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back