Help me with my flushing problems

purplegorilla

Reaction score
So I have spent the past few weeks getting all my equipments and setting it up. Well I finally got the system running. Had a few small leaks but I got it fixed and under control.

Here is my main problem. I have a LOUD flushing sound. I have a two 1.25 pipes running into one 2 inch pipe. It runs straight down into my basement and along the wall horizontal for approximately 10 more feet. I know that might be the cause of the problem according to my research yesterday. However I can't find any cure...I really don't want to redo my plumbing..

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

<u><span style="color: #22229c;">
DSCN1130.jpg
alt="" /></span></u>

Ok. I can't seem to find the edit buttons. But here are more pictures of the sump and refugium.

DSCN1125.jpg
alt="" />

DSCN1124.jpg
alt="" />

My thoughts are to switch out your standpipes with a couple of durso standpipes. If that doesn't help, you may need to run the two drain lines all the way down to your sump.

BTW, I really like your setup. I look forward to seeing it fully stocked!

From what I can tell, the water is draining into the bottom of the water into the sump. If this is the case, you will get suction in the line, this will cause the flushing to occur. The way I corrected this was to add a T inside the sump with one part draining into the sump and the other part open to the air about 8" above the water line.

If this doesn't help then you might have to throttle the return pump down a little.

Rob

Thanks wbholwell, I actually did make my stand pipes like the durso pipes....But I am not sure if I described correctly..It is really noisy where the 2 inch pipes empty into my sump. U can hear it gargleing.

In fact that that is where I found the term flushing effect at the Durso FAQs. Because I think my vent hole were too small in the durso pipes and after drililng it larger to approximately 3/16 the level of the water becomes stable but the noise is louder near the sump.

The only think I can think of, is to raise where the drain empties into my sump.

Flushing at the top usually means you need more air. Flushing at the bottom usually means you need to bleed some of that air off, you need to slow the water column before entering the sump or possibly you need to put more air in the line at the top.

Is the flushing sound constant or does it come and go ever second or so?

Oh, yes- good catch, Rob. Raising your drains above the water level of the sump is what you'll have to do to eliminate the flushing.

You don't have to move them above, I didn't like this since this gave too much water movement in my sump as well as a ton of salt creep. I'm working on a diagram.

Rob

This should show how to correct the flushing sound.
Sorry for the double post, had trouble posting the image.
Rob
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
50607=3290-flushing.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
50607=3290-flushing.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="flushing.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I wanted virtually all noise to cease from my sump so I used a setup where the water is slowed before entry and the air is purged off. It is a bit much for some people but is extremely quiet as anyone who has been to my house will attest.

Anyway, I run 1" pipe. I hooked a 1" to 1.25" elbow to the end of my drain pipe. I then used a T hooked to the elbow. One exit of the T is above the water the other is just below. When water hits the larger diameter pipe in the elbow it slows down. The T allows air to escape out the top and mostly water to exit out the other end. There is absolutely no gurgle or flushing when using this method.

rhomer;50607 wrote: This should show how to correct the flushing sound.
Sorry for the double post, had trouble posting the image.
Rob
Yep.. that is pretty much what I run as well. I would add stepping up to a larger diameter pipe can be important. When the water hits the elbow if it is the same size, it can create back pressure which can cause a different problem. This is particularly true if you have few bends in your drain.

Thanks..I will try that tonite when I get home..I just hope I have enough room for the T in the little compartment...

You need bigger pipe! You have more water going up than your overflow can handle, and thats why the flushing sound is there, it's the overflows trying to catch up.

I had a similar problem and tried a number of different things. Finally, I tried using the "Herbie" method that is commonly suggested on RC. It fixed things up and now my tank is silent.

Basically, remove all standpipes and place a screen over the hole to prevent snails and stuff from getting in there. Then use a ball valve to reduce the flow until it perfectly matches your return pumps rate. It takes a little tweaking but once you find the right balance, the drain will be silent. Guaranteed!

Some people place a second drain higher up as a safety drain in case the main drain becomes clogged.

dbm5557;51292 wrote: Basically, remove all standpipes and place a screen over the hole to prevent snails and stuff from getting in there. Then use a ball valve to reduce the flow until it perfectly matches your return pumps rate. It takes a little tweaking but once you find the right balance, the drain will be silent. Guaranteed!

Some people place a second drain higher up as a safety drain in case the main drain becomes clogged.

That sounds very risky. I would definitely use the second safety drain.

I've read the thread, and its supposed to be absolutely silent... I think its a great idea so + rep for bringing it to our attention dbm! I do agree with bryan though that a secondary drain is a must. If you're matching the flow with a ball valve, its just a matter of time before the drain's flow will fall behind the return pump's flow...

Back