Help!! Nuisance Type Of Polyp

ddowns

Market
Reaction score
I have something in my tank that has taken over some of my zooanthids. It is also on a couple of my live rocks. Its some kind of poly that if you try touching it, it will retract but come back out. Its like a rusy color polyp. Does any one know what it is called and if so how to get rid of it?

Majano anemone.

main.php

I just nuked about 5 of these (which were only 1 about a week earlier) with Joe's Juice. I have heard that cold lemon juice will also work, if you can inject it right onto the oral disk of the critter.

Or maybe a brown button type polyp? You might remove the rock and use an exacto to cut it off the rock. I have done that with some sucess. If it is an mojano use some boiling water or super high salinity water in a syringe and give it a lethal injection.

Joes juice will work on mojanos, but I have not had any luck getting it to kill button polyps. Depends on what you got, I guess.

Also, if you do use Joes, be careful, as if it is really close ot other corals the Joes may nuke them if it contacts them. May want to try the salt water or boiling water method first. But if you do go that route, joes works really well for me.

Once you put the boiling water in the needle do you have to remove the rock or zooanthid outta the tank or will it still work while injecting it while still in the tank?

sounds like aptasia. get a couple of peppermint shrimp. they will eat them. If you do, try and damage them a little and the shrimp will pick them apart.
The other suggestions will work too but i would use caution especially with joes juice around zoas. Joe's was always a bit messy for me.

<span style="color: black">We could guess for hours what it is. My recommendation is to take a pic and post it. Once identified, I am sure you will get a good answer.</span>

I do have aptasia's in the tank. So can you buy syringes over the counter?

Yeah, wallgreens err any drug store. The best thing to do is buy the joes juice or aptasia kit from a lfs. THey are expensive, but you get the syringe with the applicator needle, which makes it easier. Then in the future you can just make your own nuke juice.

With my peppermints, I had to let them get good and hungry before they touched the aiptasia. I was feeding heavily when they were introduced so they just ate that and got fat'n'happy. Starved my tank a few days and the aiptasia I had disappeared.

I love watching them eat them. If you take a needle or toothpick and jab the a few times the peppermints go nuts.
I bought a 55g with about 130-150#'s of rock just covered in them. 20 peppermints and 2 months later they were toast. good times!

I have heard Joe's Juice referred to several times. Will someone please tell me what it is?

Thanks,

John

Back