Help on lights

kullas

Market
Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade lights over my 50g cube. I would like to stay under $300. Having the ability to ramp would be nice. There are alot of lights out there and it seems the debate over lights will never be over. Some good some bad.
I am wanting to get some ideas on which way to look. Right now I have found SB reef lights the 18" with wifi. Is this light a good light or is there better in the price range of 300?

I haven't looked much at the kessil I'm sure they will be good for softies will they do sps?

The Kessil 360 WE tuna blue is a good light. It will provide adequate light, in the tank center for sure for the sps.

You could upgrade later by adding an Aquatic Life hybrid T5 to use with the Kessil. This will provide more uniform light and help eliminate shadows from any led you might use. BRS has great videos on the Kessil & Aquatic Life hybrid.

In the meantime, here’s what the Kessil would look like. He gets a lot of flicker due to the return being pointed up-

The SB Reef Light is great. I have the exact one your talking about that I used on another one of my tanks. If you are still looking into buying that exact light mine was used for like a month or two. I sold my other aquarium so I do not use this light anymore. There is a guy on reef2reef named therman that uses these lights to grow the toughest stuff like acros. If at the end of your research you decide to go with the SB and want a lightly used one for close to half the price let me know.

I am really keen on the Noopsyche. @scottw is a member/sponsor and He's a great source of info on these lights. There are quite a few folks on here that run the Noopsyche K7 and really like them. I had the chance to check out one of their hybrid fixtures that @Reefchef has and I was really impressed. I don't know a ton about the LEDs other than the people that have them really like them. I know @Eric_n_Ga and a few other folks have them and really like them.

Def give the Noopsyche a try. Especially if you are on a budget. If you have a canopy you could also go with the tried and true T5 bulbs and do a retro fit kit.

Kessil is a good light , I just don't care for them . I've had 2 and had problems with both . I have the k7pros noopsyche now and have no complaints. Great lights . I'd probably get 2 for a 50gallon

I'll toss out this idea... as unpopular as it may be. for a tank that small a few halide pendants would work. It may also be your cheapest up front option. You probably wouldn't be able to ramp, but that stuff is just for us anyway. My lights come on and go off when I'm not around so I don't care.
Just a thought.
B

I'll toss out this idea... as unpopular as it may be. for a tank that small a few halide pendants would work. It may also be your cheapest up front option. You probably wouldn't be able to ramp, but that stuff is just for us anyway. My lights come on and go off when I'm not around so I don't care.
Just a thought.
B
Maybe lowest up front cost but highest operating cost. Bulbs, energy and heat are real things to consider with halides. I even hesitated adding t5s back into my setup because I hate changing bulbs.

There is lots of choices.
Just a thought.
B
We had MH before and that's the first thing my wife said was no mh this time I'm not apposed to them but I gotta make the wife happy

Back