Help on t5 wiring

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
I'm wanting to run 4 bulbs, 2 on one cycle, 2 on another cycle. Can I achieve this using one ballast? Basically wondering if I can install separate switches in line between ballast and bulb. Or would I need 2 ballast? Anyone know?

Do not put switches between the ballast and lamps. The ballast bumps the voltage up beyond what the switch would be rated for. Two ballast would be the way to go.

rdnelson99;1041950 wrote: Do not put switches between the ballast and lamps. The ballast bumps the voltage up beyond what the switch would be rated for. Two ballast would be the way to go.

It's the only way to go to achieve what you want.

Robbing a bank is the only way to achieve what I want. But that doesn't make it right.

If the voltage exceeds the rating of the switch, it will not be able to extinguish the arc caused when any electrical circuit is opened. The higher the voltage, the greater the distance required to extinguish the arc. Long story short, it could easily cause a short circuit that could trip the breaker causing your tank to lose power for an extended period of time thus crashing the tank. But more importantly it could cause a fire.

The proper way to do it would be to use two ballast and switch the 120 volt supply with a 120 volt rated switch.

Back