Help, plate coral getting worse!

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
After 1st night of recovery.
7470C775-3894-4F44-A470-373E63D30304_zpsm6edolem.jpg
alt="" />

I've had this plate for about a year, it was really tiny at purchase. I noticed it's disappearance middle of the week and started searching the sand bed. Found it buried under the sand from my pistol shrimp Goby pair action.
It's mouth was gaping and it was hard see much of any tissue. It was nighttime, I blew the sand off gently and left it in same flow (on bottom) a little distant from the new homing action of shirmp to recover.
The next day the tissue was recessed on half of it, much worse than currently. Sand accumulation in the skeleton was obvious. I gently blew the sand out as gently as possible thinking this was the right thing to do. Unfortunately it recessed more due to my actions. Yesterday it appeared to be looking a little better but still bad and I was thankful.
This afternoon it had more sand accumulation and I blew it off, again gently. Tonight it is taken on a whole new look with the recession in a circular pattern. No sand visible but looks much worse. I don't know what to do, what flow is best to put it in, if if there's anything I should/can do for it. I cannot find any information and hoping someone has some knowledge to benefit this cute little baby?
I feel like it's beyond recoverable but any suggestions appreciated!!
Tonight

FFF9ECC9-B4AC-4F99-B7C0-953CD77C4BAF_zpst2kciphs.jpg
alt="" />

I have always wondered if a bath in tank water mixed with strong aminos like selcon and vitamins help stressed corals?

Those things are TOUGH.
Even if all the tissue recedes don't toss it for a month or so. It my surprise you

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

What Brandon said. Even if you see no tissue, leave it there. It may either start to come out at some future point, or it might produce offspring.

They can usually tolerate some sand being piled on, they are bottom dwellers, and they usually can inflate and deflate to brush the sand off, but I think you did well to clear it off.

I had one that kept getting buried by a sleeper goby so we cut a slice of rock a couple of inches thick, and flat, and put it in the sand so that the plate was on it, at sand level, but nothing could burrow under it and that helped a lot.

Make sure there's nothing nearby with long sweepers that can put a whammy on it at night - I've seen that happen too.

Jenn

671DB4C7-9449-416E-B8A8-12D6B68DAE76_zpsawsu4w8p.jpg
alt="" />

Very dissapointed, tonight it looks the same if not a tad worse.
When I recovered it, I moved it away from everything including the Goby's area so it's safe from major threats Unfortunately it's got a few grains of sand in the center (mouth) area and the skeleton area that's showing.

I'm afraid that to try to blow it out, being in the mouth, would be difficult. I don't want it to recede more!

Wondering if I should pick it up and hold it upside down for the sand to possible fall out?

Any suggestions on best flow to help it along? Strong, low...

I'll definitely leave it, keep all possible hope and let you know with pictures before removing it.

Thanks all!

FF337;1066501 wrote: I have always wondered if a bath in tank water mixed with strong aminos like selcon and vitamins help stressed corals?

I'll read up on this but wouldn't even know where to buy this stuff!
Thanks

I'm not sure if this helps. But, when I'm trying to turnaround coral that has suddenly exibiting STN for no reason, I move it to a lower flow area and allow it to recover.

Thanks Brett, I'll do it.

There is a reason tho, my Goby buried it. I'm thinking it was totally covered in sand for at least 24 maybe 48 hours before I noticed.
I like this little guy, it's really ptetty and hated to lose it :(

I ... Would leave it alone, and allow it to degrade at its own pace.
Maybe move it to a lower flow area, but I wouldn't ....personally.... Start doing any kind of cpr on it.
Just allow it to recover if it is going to.

I haven't touched it even though it has sand in its mouth. Because of its shape every day there is more sand in the center mouth.
Every time I would blow the sand off it would receed a tad more, so I stopped!!

I wish I would've never touched it the first time!!!

I doubt that injured it any. My bet is that it will recover;) just give it good water and let it do its thing

Take a sharp razor blade and slice the top up (around the mouth, not through it). This will stimulate reproduction, increasing odds of survival.

Skriz;1066920 wrote: Take a sharp razor blade and slice the top up (around the mouth, not through it). This will stimulate reproduction, increasing odds of survival.

Are you saying go around the mouth in a circular motion where there is currently just skeleton? How deep and how many times around the mouth would you go?

Thanks

Skriz;1066920 wrote: Take a sharp razor blade and slice the top up (around the mouth, not through it). This will stimulate reproduction, increasing odds of survival.

Are you saying cut the flesh to stimulate healing and growth or cut at the skeleton ?
Just trying to get a better idea what you meant.

Cut across it (the flesh) as if you're slashing it. You'll end up cutting the skeleton (top part) in the process. No need to be gentle, just have at it. Don't cut the mouth.

hzheng33;1066961 wrote: how does that work? any theory or conspiracy that I should know about?

It's an old propagation trick..secrets I'm revealing from my vault ;)

Skriz;1067108 wrote: It's an old propagation trick..secrets I'm revealing from my vault ;)

Whew!! I feel honored but also scared!

You going to be on my side of town any time in the near future?

I'm chicken!

Back