Help Please Asap!!

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Installed an overflow and plumbed my fuge into my 90......but I forgot to drill a siphon break into the overflow......where is the best place to drill the hole? How big, how many holes?

FYI, I made a DIY durso stand pipe.

You don't need anti-siphon holes in a durso. Once the water level is below the inlet of the durso, the siphon breaks.

the elbow of the return pipe is above the rim of the tank. the nozzle of the loc-line attached to the return pipe is obviously below the water line???

As for the durso, what you're saying Raj makes sense but something is causing the fuge to continue draining when i shut the return pump off

the durso pipe on my 90 has siphon break holes?????

Jgoal55;309929 wrote: the elbow of the return pipe is above the rim of the tank. the nozzle of the loc-line attached to the return pipe is obviously below the water line???

I believe this is what is causing the water to go back to the sump. Doesn't matter if the elbow is above the rim, the end of the return is below the water line causing water to be sucked back down. this is where you need to drill your hole. This reminds me, I need to do this too.

I'd put a hole in any pipe that was below the water line.

if the pipe extends 1 inch below the water line, then gallons and gallons has to drain before syphon breaks

The best place to drill a hole is the bottom/back side as close to the horizontal bend as possible while remaining under the surface

Make sense?

yup, barb was right. I raised the nozzle of the loc line and the back flow stopped much earlier. In fact, the siphon stops even before the water level gets lower than the elbow of the durso so I think once the return causes the siphon break its all good. Does this sound right?

I can drill holes just to be safe in both the durso and return?

Ha! I read your post literaly to say you wanted to drill siphon holes in your durso!

figure it'd be best if i showed you all what it looks like. tell me your thoughts. Ive attached two pics.....the second shows where im thinking of drillling holes. How big should the holes be?

well i was thinking i might have to. just to stop the siphon earlier than the lowest part of the elbow. but raising the return helped. im trying to post a pic but havng trouble

figure itd be best if i showed you all what it looks like. tell me your thoughts. Ive attached two pics.....the second shows where im thinking of drillling holes. How big should the holes be? thinking both holes under that water line.

Is it bad that the entire elbow is underwater? Should i make the durso pipe taller?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
309959=15816-IMG_0141.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
309959=15816-IMG_0141.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0141.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
309959=15817-iPhoto-2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
309959=15817-iPhoto-2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="iPhoto-2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

How many times did you me and lee go over this when you flooded your house here?!? Some cubans will never learn!!! ;)

Yesm your picture looks fine. I think I used a 1/8" bit to drill my holes and they work fine with some cleaning. You can go with like a 1/4 or 3/8 if you want but I would start smaller and go larger later if needed. Just some warning, you will ger some water spay out of the return hole. Best thing to do is drill it at an angle to angle any potential spray downward. Nothing worse then a stream of water hitting your lights because you drilled down instead of up. ;)

bad...... Drill the holes on the pipes on the side that is AWAY from your tanks light source. This way, algae will not grow and glog it.

MHO

I hate fishtanks and water and LEAKS!!!!

Brandon...last time my house flooded was because of a freakin' turbo snail; Remember I put him in my HOB overflow....lol....that was dumb. It wasn't because of my outstanding plumbing skills (lee did all the plumbing...it was flawless).

Anyway, thanks for the tips to everyone. I finally got it all working it seems. Why am I up so late? Well, because after letting run for a few hours I realized that my water level was eeeevvvveer sooooo slightly dropping and bam....I had a small leak around the bulkhead hose barb. Changed it out with another bulkhead and problem solved!

Luckily all the water fell into the bottom of the fuge stand which was empty and kept it off the carpet. Dodge a bullet there.

Now Im debating whether to go to bed or play Tiger Woods. I have to be at work in 3hrs. :(

oh yeah, and of course during all this leak craap I thought it would be nice to dump a half container of skimmate back into my sump......probably not too good for the tank huh? Hopefully the skimmer skims it back out.....its bubbling like crazy.

Back