Help, please! Temperature problem in 14 gallon!

xokarmaxo

Market
Reaction score
I set up a 14 gallon Biocube here at home. I think I have a problem with the fan. Fan isn't working or something</em>. The temperature in my tank is running 83-84 when the lights are on and 79 when the lights are off. I have a 50w stealth heater in the back chamber, but it's unplugged for now, as it's certainly not needed. When I put my hands in the tank, it doesn't FEEL 83-84, but it's what the Coralife Digital thermometer says. We checked the temperature with one of those laser "aim and hold" digital thermometers and it confirms the same temperature. http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/images/smilies/shrug.gif" alt="" />

I have a small yellow watchman goby and some corals in my tank, and so far, they do not seem affected by these temperatures at all. I know that it's not good for the temperature to be that high though. [IMG]http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/images/smilies/brickwall.gif" alt="" />

I sent an e-mail to Central Aquatics, who now handles the warranty problems for Oceanic, but knowing that it's the weekend, I'm probably on my own until it's over.

Is there supposed to be a fan on each side under the hood? Because feeling the top of the hood, the right side vent feels very hot and the left side vent is very cool. Obvious, huh??

Soooo.... what do I do?? Right now, I have the lid propped open about 4 inches. Can anyone offer me any suggestions on what to do to keep the temperature more around 80 or so? Use a clip on fan to blow air across the surface? Anything?

My SWF.com Picasso's are arriving in the morning and I don't know what else to do regarding the temp./heat in my Biocube until I hear back from the warranty department and get a replacement fan. [IMG]http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/images/smilies/crybaby.gif" alt="" />

Until I get a replacement fan or have the problem fixed, should I just run the actinics? What harm would that do to my livestock? If it would only hurt my corals, I don't have much in there right now and can temporarily house them in my 29 gallon Biocube.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!~ [IMG]http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/images/smilies/bowdown.gif" alt="" />

The Coralife Digital Thermometers are known to be very inaccurate. Double check it with a glass thermometer.

To lower the temp use evaporative cooling. Aim a fan at the surface of the water and cool it that way.

I have same problem at this time of year. Outside temp changes, and now you are running air, or windows are open. The home temp is probably higher than in winter months. If you are like everyone else can't afford to keep house cool. Again the tank does not feel warm because house temp is up. For an economical solution I would suggest another fan. Make sure if tank is near a window close the blinds. I am sure running actinics a few days until corrected will not cause damage to livestock.

When I had a nano cube I had to keep the lid propped up all summer. Fans are your best chance of cooling it.

Thanks, everyone, so far, for your responses. I've heard that the Coralife thermometers can be inaccurate, so we checked it with the laser "aim and hold" digital one also, and it may be inaccurate too, but it says the same thing as the Coralife.

The Biocube has a hood on it that is on hinges. I am going to run over to Walgreens and pick up the clip on fan that they have and see if I can manage to work it on my tank. I hope that there is something that can better explain this heating issue, whether the fans aren't working or what, because I don't know how I'd be able to handle having the hood propped up all the time with the fans blowing across it. :unsure:

Ugh... I'm frustrated for sure.

A glass thermometer is your best tool in this case so you can compare those numbers from the other measuring devices.

It is possible for the tank to get hotter when the lights are on, and by leaving the small door open or propping up the hood a couple of inches, it will help. A fan blowing across the surface of the water will help as well.

The trick is not to cool it too much, and find that sweet spot where everything stays stable. However, with the nutty climate changes we have from day to night, this will definitely be a challenge for a bit.

Back