Help please!

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I get home from school and there is a note on the dore saying tang isn't doing well, I went to the tank and it can't even swim. It is now laying on it's side in my 30g (I figured my 10g quarentine is to small) and I turned the sump pump off so there is not flow blowing him around. The tang is extremly skinny, and has been even though he eats like a pig so it may be an internal parasite or the rabbit fish could of stung him. The tang has no ick but is not eating or swimming just lying there on his side. Also in my 30g my sea hare was stuck to my mini jet and there is a peice of flesh hanging of the sea hare but he's still alive and inking. I put him in a cup but I have no Idea how much ink is in the water. If you don't have time to post befor the meeting I will be there, please talk about possible solutions!
I NEED HELP!

#1 have you got any activated charcoal in the system? If not, get some in there to help with the hare inking.

Put it in a mesh bag somewhere the water will flow through it before it goes back to the display tank.

Let's try to get as much bad stuff out of the water as we can as fast as we can.

I have to wait until my mom gets home, I don't have any charcoal I'll have to run to buy some

OK, you say the rabbit fish may have stung him.......are there any obvious signs of injury that might help us determine if this happened?

Is the fish hollow bellied or overall slim?

Have you got any medicated foods available if it is a parasite?

Is he still eating anything?

Ok i just went to the store and piced up carbon it's in my tank know.
There are no obviouse wonds to show the rabbit fish stung him
slim, but his face is very caved in under the eyes and you can tell were his spine is
he's not eating, he's not even swimming hes laying on his side

Tang is swimming a little and breathing has slowed, i think thats a good sign. The only thing i've changed is adding charcoal and I added a little bit more water movement

twistoflime;342764 wrote: Tang is swimming a little and breathing has slowed, i think thats a good sign. The only thing i've changed is adding charcoal and I added a little bit more water movement

Good news!

I'm out of ideas.......we can't get medicine into him if he's not eating.

tokejr;342772 wrote: Good news!

I'm out of ideas.......we can't get medicine into him if he's not eating.
when/if he starts eating I'll feed garlic to prevent ick but I don't know what's wrong with him so I don't know what medicine to get/feed. Know it's time to wait.
See you at the meeting, Diane

I'm no genius but if he starts to eat and you can verify an internal parasite, Metronidazole can help as well as giving him vitamins such as AminOmega. The only way it can work though is if he eats. Garlic is a great idea as I feed my fish garlic with every meal. Good luck and hope he gets better soon.

1. Do a water change, that carbon isn't going to fix everything
2. get some dried seaweed/nori to feed that tang 3-4 times a week. ocean nutrition makes some green sheet algae that is already soaked in garlic, so that may help encourage him to eat it. this stuff will fatten him up pretty well or at least keep him going until you can figure out if he definitely has a parasite.

The tang was dead when I came back from the meeting.
the sea hare is still alive but has three large deep wounds i put some nori in the cup to feed it

I'm going to treat all my fish with metro incase it was an internal parasite. Also the sea hare has stopped inking.

Back