Help! Protein skimmer pump not working

fishyfishy

Supporting
Reaction score
I was checking out my corals a bit ago and I heard a strange noise, then the sound of flowing water. Thought my return pump had quite but it was my protein skimmer pump.

I took out the impeller and am soaking it all in vinegar/water but I don't think that was the issue as it wasn't very dirty and I can spin the impeller with no resistance.

When I plug the pump in, i see the impeller twitch but won't complete even a full spin. Do you think there is hope since the motor has "some" action? Do the AC/DC converters ever malfunction where that could not be pushing enough power to the pump? I don't have a converter that's rated the same unfortunately to test.

The pump is a reef octopus Diablo DC 3500. The pump controller seems fine. The green light is lit on the ac/DC adapter. Any thoughts??

Do you have a multimeter? Might want to check the voltage & watts coming from the power supply and controller.

No I don't. I took it to a fish store and we tried out another power supply and that didn't help. The guy there thinks it's the controller. I guess I'll try to open it and see if anything looks suspect.

Does reef octopus sell the controller portion alone?

Back