HELP --- Refugium NOISE

grouper

Market
Reaction score
Added a refgium today. It's a 15 gallon acrylic tank. It has 2 drilled holes.
I have one hoe for the intake with my mag pump and the other for the return. It makes a lot of noise when the water gets pumped into the refugium through the holes and when it draines. The the intake hole is 1 3/4 and the return is 2 inches. Can you buy some kind of connectors for each hoe? How do you stop that !@#@$@$!$$%#%@^$!$!%! noise........:yuk::mad3:

seriously-
you could get a durso stand pipe (or make one pretty easily) to stop "gurgling" noise--as far as the intake noise-you may wanna put something there where it comes in-it's the water "crashing" or "trickling" in that's making the noise--if you put an object at the intake point (a piece of LR or something) to break up its flow coming in that should help

Wow!!! I wanted to see if anyone catch that!!!!! Your the winner
member.php

Grouper, my first thought is that your refugium should be nearly silent because the flow through it should be very S-L-O-W. What size mag pump do you have feeding it, and what's the height of the 'fuge?

So what is that, maybe 280 gph through a 15 gal 'fuge? I would install a ball valve after the pump, and take the flow down to about 175 gph.

I'm saying I think there may be. What you should be aiming for is nice, slow, laminar flow through the refugium. You don't want a blasting, turbulent flow that'll kick up debris and blow all off your pods out.

Where do I get the ball valve from? You mentioned it should be place between the pump and the fuge?

Saltwater City has ball valves that are of a higher quality than most of your Home Depot stuff. The main difference is that is is lot easier to control the flow. A gate valve would be ideal (best to control flow), but they are kinda harder to find sometimes. I think in the DIY section there is a list of where to get the gate valves.

When I was younger I liked it when the hoe made noises, now that I'm older I can't hear it anymore and I'm just glad to see movement.:sad:

959 and 2.30 per day what a rookie!

Back