Help RTN loss in SPS!!

chefbeier

Reaction score
I need some advice on what I can do about rapid tissue loss on one of my SPS's? I cut away the piece that lost tissue but now I am seeing more on some others, is there something that I can do or not? I thought about putting the whole colony in my 20 gal with 2-96wtt quads on it but not sure if that would be good or not!!! Help me out if you have any advice or experience with this!

Need more information.

Like how old is the coral?

How long has the tank been setup.

What is the alkalinity and other levels.

Made any changes to the system recently.

I would cut off any and all affected area's. Make sure to cut back into the normal tissue. This may or may not help some people just leave them alone and hope for the best.

Joe

the coral is only one week old, the tank has been running for 2 years, Nothing new to the system or changed The parameters
trates-0
trites-0
ph- 8.3
phos-0
calc.-440
alk-220
salinty-1.024
temp-78.7

Everything pretty regular. I just dipped it in seachem reef dip for 15 minutes. see how that does!

Your DKH is a little on the high side but in the acceptable range. It's 12.29DKH.

Do you always run it that high? IMO it's probably OK if it is always that high but not OK for it to jump up that high real fast. I used to run mine around 11 but now run around 10.

What test kit are you using? How do you maintain your DKH?

It is probably just the new coral not liking something. Sorry can't help much more than that.

Good luck Joe

im in the same boat bro...lost a baseball size acro this past couple days....all parameters were fine.....I feel your pain.

JUst remembered I added phosphat from brightwell on wednesday?
Thanks for the advice I am going to watch for a bit longer and if worst comes to worst I will frag the crap out of it! Thanks all!!!

I'm pretty sure my rtn with 3 millie frags was a dead spot in the flow. the temporary set-up wasn't to their liking. it's amazing what moving an inch can do.

dawgdude;206838 wrote: It could be that the phosphates got pulled down so fast that it stressed the coral. Also temp changes are a major cause of RTN in my experience.

My money would be on this as well. I had a bout of RTN 3-4 months ago and now attribute it to this very same cause.

Back