Help - save this marriage

leelee

Market
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry to make this a long post however....Here is my story. Several of you know my husband CPayne (ARC Member). Well CPayne went out of town this week and his loving wife, (that would be me) went and purchased a 125g setup from a very nice couple.:yes: We currently have a 70g bowfront that we have in a location that we regret choosing in the house. My answer to that, get the 125g for the kitchen. That being said, the 125g moves in with us weekend. I have done hours of research and Chris and I just spent time with Chris at Aquarium Showcase (very, very helpful).

Current 70g
Lawnmover Blenny
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
Maroon Clown
Flame Hawkfish
Purple Dottyback
Cleaner crew
Peppermint Shrimp
Lots of Coral

Currently in future 125g
4 spotted cardinals
1 lyretail hog fish
percula
blue tang
yellow tang
maroon clown
flame hawkfish
purple dottyback
plate coral
pencil urchin
urchin
spotted mandarin
cucumber
2 red sea serpent stars

I do want to eventually break down the 70g however, I have fish that can not be place in the same tank, fish that are not reef compatablile.

So, my friends, please help CPayne, any advice that you may have would be most helpful.

Plus does any one have good advice for building a do it yourself refugium?

Does anyone have an inexpensive old 40+ gallon tank for sale so that we can build a refugium?

Also, I know that we can not post lifestock for sale, so I will not. However, will possibly trade lifestock for involvment????

Thank you for your input and saving our marriage.:doh:

#1 I would be weary of a tank in the kitchen.

#2 You may indeed sell your livestock.

#3 melevsreef.com is a great place to read about fuge/sump design

Thanks Loren. We have a very large Kitchen with an inset alcove. What are your thoughts on kitchen placement? Thanks

I would be worried about airborne contaminates in the water affecting oxygen exchange i.e. bacon grease.

Excellent thought. The tank will be 10 feet from cooking area . Rarely fry foods and use exhaust when we do. Really two seperate spaces without a wall. We had a 55 gallon there before and did not find it was a problem. Chris does 20% every two weeks or weekly if needed.

Seedless Reefer;321583 wrote: I would be worried about airborne contaminates in the water affecting oxygen exchange i.e. bacon grease.
I can attest to the airborne grease vapor causing problems, we have an open floorplan, kitchen flows to dining, to LR to den... one BIG room with furniture to break up the spaces. We first setup a tank 10 ft from the stove, and it kept a constant film on the water surface. Moved the tank another 20 odd feet, no more film.
Can't confirm it did anything detrimental to the tank, but it bugged me no end.

Guys and Dolls... Got the point about the kitchen. Now please help my wife address the real questions at hand about putting together a refugium?

Seriously, If anyone has some time this upcoming Saturday and is in North Atlanta area and is willing to offer some personal expertise, you may have your pick of the livestock that is incompatible with our reef and soft coral. Cold Beer and Pizza Provided. If interested, please PM for RSVP and additional information.

I'd take a look at MRC sumps. They are built like tanks, and you can get them as reef sumps only, or with built in fuges. Not cheap, but about the best out there for a plug and play unit. I have one. Love it. Kicks butt! Check out their website in the Sponsor Section. They are located in Lawrenceville. You can pick it up in person.

They can also build a custom refugium to your measurements.
Dave

If you would like help building a sump I will help you however, you will have to come to me.

Very important to know that your sump will fit in whatever stand you have.

I'm not just talking about up and down and side to side, you need to make sure that you can get your hands into it if need be.

You also need to know what skimmer and return pump you are using.

I saw her ask for a 100 to use as a sump and this is great if it is accesible.

Oh and I did provide a link to one of the best sump guys around @
a>

Back