help sealing mag pump

demifelix

Market
Reaction score
The mag pump on my CR died and I purchased another one, but this one has a bad seal and water leaks slowly from around the pump. I took the o-ring seal from my dead mag and replaced the one I just bought that leaks, but it still leaks. What's the best way to seal this pump? Should I run a bead of silicone on top of the o-ring to completely seal it? Superglue? Anyone has experience sealing pumps before?

Thanks.
Felix

Felix, if the pumps were the same, swap the entire volute, not just the O-ring. There could be a tolerance difference in the o-rings or one could be slightly warped. If that doesn't work, then you can use silicone to seal it.

Also use a little silicon grease on the o-ring. It's a good idea to periodically grease any o-ring. It makes your o-rings last much longer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mufret;1055197 wrote: Also use a little silicon grease on the o-ring. It's a good idea to periodically grease any o-ring. It makes your o-rings last much longer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thanks for the tip

Unfortunately, Mag pumps are notorious for leaking like that when used in-line.

I'd suggest using a different brand of pump for that purpose. It's unlikely you'll ever be leak-free with it.

If that's not an option, put it in a shallow tray or something, to catch the drips, and make sure to check that the tray doesn't fill. If it's just a few drops here and there they will likely evaporate out of the tray. You'll get salt creep over time, but it's the 'macgyver' fix for that issue.

Another pump is your best bet.

Jenn

thanks Jenn. I did the same last night putting it in a 5 gallon pan. I checked it again this morning and there was just a bit of water. I left for work at 6:30 and by noon I received a call from home saying water is everywhere on the floor :(. I got home and the 5 gallon pan all filled up and spilled out. Not sure how much water got on the floor. Way to start my weekend :)

I'd have to agree with Jenn. Mag pumps are notorious for this issue. Some do, some don't. The ones that do always will and the ones that don't are prone to start. I've never trusted a Mag for use as an external, inline pump. Always and only as a submersible. Felix....check out the Fluval SEA SP series pumps.

Back