HELP taking established tank over from friend he has let go has problems

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
First thank you very much for your time and knowledge.
I just came upon a free tank which a friend of mine no longer has time to maintain and he has kind of let go for a while now.
its a 21gallon cube acrylic with stand
Only fish in the tank is a Clown
has a few snails and few hermits
1 power head and i just bought a oceanic skimmer for 14-29 tank
The tank is NOT a bio cube but the skimmer is working well i just have it setup inside the tank instead of hanging the the back part that the biocubes allow for.
Had all the levels tested at the local LFS he said everything looked fine except my PH was low so i bought some buffer and have given 1 dose a day past 2 days and will have water tested again tommorrow

Setup:
my.php
>
lighting2xo0.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
lightingzm3.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
tankdz1.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Questions:
1.First question i have is that there are the reddish-purple jelly looking broccli formations growing off some of the live rock. Good or Bad? see pic
my.php
>
brocclisproutsmx4.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
brocclitreegd4.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

2.The bottom half of my rock looks like it has green dust all over it? How do i clean this up and what is this?
my.php
>
greendustrv4.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
dustvh5.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

3 The sand is kind of course and rocky but is discolored to a yellowish green tint? How can i fix this?
my.php
>
brocclisproutshb1.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

4 There are these light green-yellow cotton ball looking growths on about 5-6 spots spread throughout the rock.
my.php
>
cottonballba5.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

5 also there are these little white things poking out of the rocks in parts they dont move just curious as to what they are>?
my.php
>
whitethingsye6.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

6. Should i change out the ammonia remover, carbon, and sponge?
7.The tank has no heater what temp should i run it at and do i need to buy a heater?
Thanks so much guys im new to this and have read a fair amount but looking for somequick answers before i make a big mistake.

1. Looks like some form of red algae. Could be cyano with air trapped inside. Rarely is this stuff a good thing. But most algaes can be eliminated and few are ever a serious problem unless they go unchecked too long.

2. Probably diatoms which are formed from silicates in the water. Using RO/DI filtered water and patience is the best way to rid yourself of them.

3. Probably the same as #2. Vacuuming and using good water will usually do the trick.

4. Sponges it appears. They feed on silicates as well. Nothing to worry about.

5. Looks like feather dusters which are simple filter feeders and no harm.

6. Dump the sponge, add a skimmer or do frequent water changes with filtered water. You can use a product called Purigen to help remove excess nutrients from the water.

7. Heater is usually a necessity in a reef tank. 80 degrees is a fine target.

ace1204;137464 wrote:

Questions:
1.First question i have is that there are the reddish-purple jelly looking broccli formations growing off some of the live rock. Good or Bad? see pic not sure what it is but I have it too and its not coraline but it has never hurt anything in my tank.
my.php
>
brocclisproutsmx4.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
brocclitreegd4.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

2.The bottom half of my rock looks like it has green dust all over it? How do i clean this up and what is this? looks like detritus which you can blow off your rock with a powerhead or a turkey baster
my.php
>
greendustrv4.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
my.php
>
dustvh5.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

3 The sand is kind of course and rocky but is discolored to a yellowish green tint? How can i fix this?You can remove the top layer and add fresh sand. You can also vacumm out a top layer no biggie.
my.php
>
brocclisproutshb1.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

4 There are these light green-yellow cotton ball looking growths on about 5-6 spots spread throughout the rock. looks like a spong but my eyes could be decieving me but not a big deal either harmless
my.php
>
cottonballba5.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

5 also there are these little white things poking out of the rocks in parts they dont move just curious as to what they are>? they look like feather dusters or christmas tree worms...good things no for the tank
my.php
>
whitethingsye6.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

6. Should i change out the ammonia remover, carbon, and sponge? absolutly if it has been a while since replacement
7.The tank has no heater what temp should i run it at and do i need to buy a heater? yes buy a heater...people keep tanks at different ranges from 78-81
Thanks so much guys im new to this and have read a fair amount but looking for somequick answers before i make a big mistake.
Hope this helps also check out
a>

Cameron;137472 wrote: 1. Looks like some form of red algae. Could be cyano with air trapped inside. Rarely is this stuff a good thing. But most algaes can be eliminated and few are ever a serious problem unless they go unchecked too long.

2. Probably diatoms which are formed from silicates in the water. Using RO/DI filtered water and patience is the best way to rid yourself of them.

1. really dont think its cyano I believe it is that stuff (not sure of the name) that is a deep red almost velvet color that grows ontop of or next to coraline algae. Most people like the color and it quickly spreads on LR. I read a thread on RC about it but cant find it now.

2. Really looks like detritus not diatoms due to the color described and the picture just looks like detritus.

I dont disagree with Cameron much but I had to point out these two things. :fish:

I can't argue with either point from Stroid.

1. I was guessing for sure. It looks like a red algae of some sort to me, but there are a lot of things it could be.

2. I can't really see anything from the picture, but diatoms are a usual problem in tanks like this. If it is fish poop or diatoms, you can vacuum it out during a water change. If it is detritus, increasing the flow in the tank and getting a good clean up crew (snails and such) can fix it.

1. I'm about 99% certain that its Botrocladia which is red bubble algae. You can read more about it
a>

Didn't we have a link to something like a beginner's guide to salt water tankery around here somewhere? I would swear I had seen one. In any event, there are a LOT of great resources herer and at Reef Central and elsewhere to help you get a running start.

pfritzbelly;138381 wrote: Didn't we have a link to something like a beginner's guide to salt water tankery...

Salt water tankery!!! I love that.

Hey, I'm a tankerist. (All the rest of you are just cantankerous).

:lol2:

Back