help to choose the best skimmer for my new setup.

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
Reef Octopus Elite 220INT Super Cone Protein Skimmer would this skimmer be too much for a 180 gallon well stock mix tank? or the reef octopus elite 200INT super cone be better and i also looking the Regal "9" 220INT, what do you guys think is best or do you guys have another options? thank you for your help

Don't think there is such a thing as too much when it comes to skimmers. It can only remove nutrients that are present. If there are no nutrients it won't remove them. :)

I don't know a lot about either skimmer but I would say buy the most skimmer you can afford without just throwing money away needlessly. :)

You listed the same Reef Octopus skimmer twice so I'm not really sure what the second one was supposed to be. I'm a fan of Reef Octopus skimmers. I can say this .... as noted above, buy the biggest skimmer you can afford and will fit in the space you have planned. The second thing with RO skimmers is buy the 3" neck extension. This will give you more contact time and double the efficiency of the skimmer.

porpoiseaquatics;997821 wrote: You listed the same Reef Octopus skimmer twice so I'm not really sure what the second one was supposed to be. I'm a fan of Reef Octopus skimmers. I can say this .... as noted above, buy the biggest skimmer you can afford and will fit in the space you have planned. The second thing with RO skimmers is buy the 3" neck extension. This will give you more contact time and double the efficiency of the skimmer.
Double the efficiency???

That's what they claim and that's what I've heard from individuals that has used them. You do realize that any skimmer is only roughly 30% efficient out of the box and in order to increase that efficiency, you have to either alter the air input (adding soda lime and/or charcoal to the air inlet) or increase the contact time.

ok, in that case i probably will go with the SRO 5000SSS because i am getting the TIDELINE sump "48" so i will have the space needed, thank you guys

porpoiseaquatics;997821 wrote: You listed the same Reef Octopus skimmer twice so I'm not really sure what the second one was supposed to be. I'm a fan of Reef Octopus skimmers. I can say this .... as noted above, buy the biggest skimmer you can afford and will fit in the space you have planned. The second thing with RO skimmers is buy the 3" neck extension. This will give you more contact time and double the efficiency of the skimmer.

i will get the "3" neck extension, thanks

+1 neck extensions generally raise the gph approximately by 75 gph. U can add up to 4 extensions on most RO skimmers.

Generally what I have read is that skimmers are generally 30% effective on the capacity of the skimmer. However, you can be too effective at removing chemicals and additives. I've run up against this recently and had to reduce the wet skim to a drier skim.

From what I've seen, Reef Octopus gives a whole lot of bang for the buck. There are better skimmers out there, but you will pay a lot more for them.

tonymission;997837 wrote: Carlos, you're a baller so get a bubble King lol

All jokes aside-- can't go wrong with RO. Have always had one running at all times. That one you sold me was a monster and I know Brett (bcavalli) is running it on his system now.

Just another option for you. I have a Hydor Performer 505 recirculating skimmer that has been excellent to me on my 92g. Several friends of mine run the even larger sizes and love them. Price is great for what you get

tonymission;997897 wrote: All jokes aside-- can't go wrong with RO. Have always had one running at all times. That one you sold me was a monster and I know Brett (bcavalli) is running it on his system now.

I've had several smaller skimmers in the past and upgraded to this one from Tony! It's set and forget and I never have overflow problems. Hands down its the best skimmer I've ever used!

Back